Page 1 of 1

Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:47 pm
by Megz
Hi so i am looking into getting a BTS. I have been doing a lot of research on their housing, food, etc. The only thing i cant decide and dont know too much about is the type of skink to get. I dont know the difference between northern or irian jaya. Which do you find is better as a pet? Is there any difference when it comes to their care (ie. diet, housing, temperatures etc)? Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated :D

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm
by Dakota
Merauke. :love:

My general opinion only.

Gigas appreciate more humidity, but overall, all skinks can have the same general husbandry.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm
by Sarikazam
I think a Northern, Merauke or IJ are all great skinks to start out with.
Northerns have the benefit of being guaranteed captive bred and born since export from Australia is highly illegal.

I personally find my Northern more outgoing and my Merauke more shy, but that might just be because the Merauke was probably WC. I would recommend Northerns, but of course there is no one right answer. Also there happens to be a great breeder in Manitoba who just had a litter of Caramel Northerns! The first caramels bred and born in Canada as far as I know.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm
by donkeybuff
Anything captive bred :)

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 pm
by Logancrook
I currently own my first skink and she is great. She is a Merauke. I planned on getting a northern though because of the cb garrantee and they just seemed to be better pets to me. Idk whether northerns are or not but i know i love my skink. If you treat and care for it well I bet any kind of bts will make a great companion. Good luck in your findings and decision making. Make sure you let us know what you end up getting.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 pm
by Megz
Thanks for the opinions :D
I was also wondering where i could buy them? Any recommendations?

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 pm
by Dakota
Megz wrote:Thanks for the opinions :D
I was also wondering where i could buy them? Any recommendations?

What Merauke? Northern? I know Jeff has had some babies lately, but his waiting-list is way long.. give him an email: btskinks.com

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 pm
by Dakota
Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm
by Megz
Dakota Nivens wrote:Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.

Fatal_S?

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 pm
by Sarikazam
There is a few great breeders in Canada that can ship to you (Unless you live close enough to pick up from one). Do you mind if I ask what province you live in?
There also is a chance you could find on in a local pet store, but I would suggest trying to find a breeder first.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 pm
by Sarikazam
Megz wrote:
Dakota Nivens wrote:Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.

Fatal_S?


That is her username for this forum. You can check her website out here: http://melsexotics.com/

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm
by Megz
Found Fatal_S :)
Not at all I'm in ontario

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm
by Sarikazam
Megz wrote:Found Fatal_S :)
Not at all I'm in ontario

Oh check out this thread! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23508
He just had babies and he is in Ontario! From what I heard he is another fantastic breeder that everyone speaks very highly of.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm
by Megz
So is there any significant differences to the care of the irian jaya vs. a northern? Do they eat the same things? The one thing I heard was Iranian jayas need more humidity, is that true? If so how much more? Would there be anything else I need to know? Thanks so much :) still deciding on the breed both are gorgeous

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm
by Dakota
Room humidity usually does fine with IJ's, unless you live in a very very very dry place. If I'm not mistaken, Northerns are one of the more tropical species of Australian TIliqua, so I would think their care wouldn't be much of a difference.

Re: Best type of skink?

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm
by Richard.C
northerns are your best bet out of species mentioned hands down,they are far more forgiving species,pretty much all captive born and bred unlike the indo varieties which are still pilfered from the wild in large amounts,in particular if you buy from a pet store

they can all do great in captivity if kept right,northerns have the most going for them and when starting out a more forgiving of conditions species wins hands down,not as common over there but the cousin of the northern,the eastern bluey is quite similar in its forgivness ,probably more so