Best type of skink?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Megz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Best type of skink?
Hi so i am looking into getting a BTS. I have been doing a lot of research on their housing, food, etc. The only thing i cant decide and dont know too much about is the type of skink to get. I dont know the difference between northern or irian jaya. Which do you find is better as a pet? Is there any difference when it comes to their care (ie. diet, housing, temperatures etc)? Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated 
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best type of skink?
Merauke. 
My general opinion only.
Gigas appreciate more humidity, but overall, all skinks can have the same general husbandry.

My general opinion only.
Gigas appreciate more humidity, but overall, all skinks can have the same general husbandry.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
I think a Northern, Merauke or IJ are all great skinks to start out with.
Northerns have the benefit of being guaranteed captive bred and born since export from Australia is highly illegal.
I personally find my Northern more outgoing and my Merauke more shy, but that might just be because the Merauke was probably WC. I would recommend Northerns, but of course there is no one right answer. Also there happens to be a great breeder in Manitoba who just had a litter of Caramel Northerns! The first caramels bred and born in Canada as far as I know.
Northerns have the benefit of being guaranteed captive bred and born since export from Australia is highly illegal.
I personally find my Northern more outgoing and my Merauke more shy, but that might just be because the Merauke was probably WC. I would recommend Northerns, but of course there is no one right answer. Also there happens to be a great breeder in Manitoba who just had a litter of Caramel Northerns! The first caramels bred and born in Canada as far as I know.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
- Logancrook
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Maryland, USA
Re: Best type of skink?
I currently own my first skink and she is great. She is a Merauke. I planned on getting a northern though because of the cb garrantee and they just seemed to be better pets to me. Idk whether northerns are or not but i know i love my skink. If you treat and care for it well I bet any kind of bts will make a great companion. Good luck in your findings and decision making. Make sure you let us know what you end up getting.
-
Megz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
Thanks for the opinions
I was also wondering where i could buy them? Any recommendations?
I was also wondering where i could buy them? Any recommendations?
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best type of skink?
Megz wrote:Thanks for the opinions![]()
I was also wondering where i could buy them? Any recommendations?
What Merauke? Northern? I know Jeff has had some babies lately, but his waiting-list is way long.. give him an email: btskinks.com
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best type of skink?
Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
Megz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
Dakota Nivens wrote:Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.
Fatal_S?
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
There is a few great breeders in Canada that can ship to you (Unless you live close enough to pick up from one). Do you mind if I ask what province you live in?
There also is a chance you could find on in a local pet store, but I would suggest trying to find a breeder first.
There also is a chance you could find on in a local pet store, but I would suggest trying to find a breeder first.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
Megz wrote:Dakota Nivens wrote:Oh wait - your Canadian, sorry! I know Fatal_S just had some babies.
Fatal_S?
That is her username for this forum. You can check her website out here: http://melsexotics.com/
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
-
Megz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
Found Fatal_S 
Not at all I'm in ontario
Not at all I'm in ontario
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
Megz wrote:Found Fatal_S
Not at all I'm in ontario
Oh check out this thread! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23508
He just had babies and he is in Ontario! From what I heard he is another fantastic breeder that everyone speaks very highly of.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
-
Megz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Best type of skink?
So is there any significant differences to the care of the irian jaya vs. a northern? Do they eat the same things? The one thing I heard was Iranian jayas need more humidity, is that true? If so how much more? Would there be anything else I need to know? Thanks so much
still deciding on the breed both are gorgeous
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best type of skink?
Room humidity usually does fine with IJ's, unless you live in a very very very dry place. If I'm not mistaken, Northerns are one of the more tropical species of Australian TIliqua, so I would think their care wouldn't be much of a difference.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Best type of skink?
northerns are your best bet out of species mentioned hands down,they are far more forgiving species,pretty much all captive born and bred unlike the indo varieties which are still pilfered from the wild in large amounts,in particular if you buy from a pet store
they can all do great in captivity if kept right,northerns have the most going for them and when starting out a more forgiving of conditions species wins hands down,not as common over there but the cousin of the northern,the eastern bluey is quite similar in its forgivness ,probably more so
they can all do great in captivity if kept right,northerns have the most going for them and when starting out a more forgiving of conditions species wins hands down,not as common over there but the cousin of the northern,the eastern bluey is quite similar in its forgivness ,probably more so
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 349 guests
