Squash

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Logancrook
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Squash

Postby Logancrook » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am

Today is feeding day. I plan on giving my skink squash. I have no clue how to prepare it though. Can I have some help?
User avatar
Logancrook
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Squash

Postby Logancrook » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

Just chop the whole thing up small enough for her to swallow it easily?
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Squash

Postby Dakota » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 am

I put them in a food processor, but chopping them up finely is also fine.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Logancrook
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Squash

Postby Logancrook » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am

Ok thanks
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Squash

Postby Sarikazam » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 am

Another suggestion for preparing squash is to take it to a cheese grater. I find it quicker and easier than chopping and it makes it a nice size.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
Logancrook
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Squash

Postby Logancrook » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:08 pm

That's an awesome idea! Next time I'm definitely gonna do that!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Squash

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 am

With winter squash (butternut, acorn, etc.) I cook it first, let cool and then mix it in with the other veggies & meat. Summer squashes (zuccuni, summer) I just grate into the mixture raw. Growing all these in the garden this year, hoping for a good crop for the blueys!
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Squash

Postby donkeybuff » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

I cheese grate all my squash.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Squash

Postby Lea » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 am

I like to grate squash, too. It gives good texture to the meal. Food processing always ends up in slop, which isn't as appealing and doesn't offer different textures and tastes to your skink.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Squash

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am

LeaBilby wrote:I like to grate squash, too. It gives good texture to the meal. Food processing always ends up in slop, which isn't as appealing and doesn't offer different textures and tastes to your skink.

All five of mine love it. :wink: They don't seem to care how it is prepared, just as long it has meat in it.. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Squash

Postby Coomassie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I use the food processor too but I don't process it to the point of mush. I've mastered the art of the fine chop (or I have a super crappy food processor...probably that). I also feed a pretty small portion because Coomassie gets lots of treats (dubia roaches, snails, whatever fruit is in the fridge, etc.) so he gets a lot of variety outside his regular Saturday meal.
Cay T.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 222 guests