Winter temperatures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Crazy76
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am
Country:
Location: Sydney NSW

Winter temperatures

Postby Crazy76 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi guys,
I just want to double check this because I am a nervous mum haha
It's now winter and I don't see my lizards hardly at all, for a few weeks now, I just want to check my temps are good.
I have 2 shinglebacks and an eastern blue tongue.
Their hot end is 35-7 degree celcius and the cold end is 15 degrees celcius.
The eastern blue spends most his time under his hide closer to the warm end, but his not eating or coming out much.
The shinglebacks are right up the cold end and don't come out and have not come out for a few weeks now (as far as i am aware of) but they definitely havnt eaten either for a few weeks.
They have dry food available all the time, cuz I worry I won't serve food on the right day they decide to pop out. And they all don't mind eating dry food occassionally.
I worry about my shinglebacks because I can't have water in there all the time as they like low humidity, and i put it in there every third day all day. But worry they won't come out and drink at the right time. I am just worried in general.
I know brumation is normal. I just want to make sure this all sounds normal to other blue tongue and shingleback owners :)
Thanks for the help
Emma
1 Eastern Blue Tongue (Oz) and 2 Shinglebacks (Neiko and Kali)
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Winter temperatures

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:34 am

staying down cool end to brumate,which they often do even if they have a hot basking spot available

i wouldnt be to concerned bout the stumpies,cool end is fine for them to brumate safely,but keep an eye on the eastern,as if its in warmer zone but inactive it could use up fat reserves,though wouldnt suprise me if its still reasonably cool where it is resting and it can safely brumate there,have you checked temps where eastern is resting

often background temps drop low enough for them to easily brumate even with a hot spot still,its more risky if they are active but not warm enough to eat,and not cool enough to shut down,sounds to me like they have bedded down,so keep an eye on them i guess
User avatar
Crazy76
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am
Country:
Location: Sydney NSW

Re: Winter temperatures

Postby Crazy76 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks Richard.
It seems that yesterday he moved himself to the cold end. I pulled his log away today and had a look and he looks fast asleep now. I will keep an eye on how often he is up the hot end though.
Thanks for your help!
Emma
1 Eastern Blue Tongue (Oz) and 2 Shinglebacks (Neiko and Kali)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 176 guests