Page 1 of 1

Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm
by gust0640
Hey, BTS.net ;) I read some caresheets for bts, at they said, that tiliqua gigas should have about 30-40% air humidity, but as I always do when i get a new reptile, I read about the humidity in their natural hapitats. In New Guinea and Indonesia (gigas´ natural habitats), the avarage humidity is about 70-80%. Im a bit confused, why they only should have 40% max, when they normaly live in humidity-levels twice as high. What do you guys think?? ;)

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:21 pm
by Susann
I don't think it says they should have max 40%, just that that is the recommended lower range.
It can be very hard to achieve 80% humidity without causing mold and unhealthy bacterial growth.

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm
by gust0640
What can I do, to raise humidity?? I do have a large waterbowl, but if I don't spray at least twice a day (and I don't have that opportunity) it drops to around 30-35. Thats far to low, I think.

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:27 pm
by Ophidiophile
The most effective way to provide high humidity but not be overtaken by mold and also preserve airflow is to provide your animals with a humidity chamber rather than attempting to keep the entire enclosure at 70% (or 80% or 90%) humidity. My humidity chambers are simply plastic containers with an entry hole cut in the side (or top - especially with snakes) and filled with warm moist whole sphagnum moss. This allows the animal to choose its desired humidity from a range just like providing a temperature gradient. Ta da!

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm
by gust0640
Sounds good :) Il try that. thanks ;) any onther suggestions?

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 am
by Scotts1au
Don't fix what ain't broke. The only reason that should need to alter humidity is scale drying (tip curling on tummy) and difficulty shedding, both of which can be dealt with relatively easily with a humid hide or soaking to aid shedding.

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 am
by gust0640
If i dont spray my bts´s terrarium, the humidity lies about 30-40%. dont you think, thats to low??

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm
by Scotts1au
Personally, no. I keep blotched blueys which come from wetter areas of Australia, they are perfectly at home in a low humidity environment, provided that they have plenty of water available. My preference is to adapt your humidity levels to the skink, but only as high as it is demonstrated to need it.

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 am
by gust0640
Well, I guess its a personal choice ;)

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 am
by Richard.C
just realise that in a confined enclosure,its very hard to keep humidity up without bacteria flourishing in that environment,cages are tiny and often dont offer the myriad of choices a free ranging wild animal has access to

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 am
by gust0640
Yeah, i guess ;) thanks anyway

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 am
by Richard.C
one option is to mist at night,humidity will stay high till the heat of the nextday drys enclosure out,not allowing bacteria ect to get a foot hold,you can also offer humid hides to,so theres options,options are great

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:17 pm
by Chris.J
Scotts1au wrote:Personally, no. I keep blotched blueys which come from wetter areas of Australia, they are perfectly at home in a low humidity environment, provided that they have plenty of water available. My preference is to adapt your humidity levels to the skink, but only as high as it is demonstrated to need it.


Thanks Scott for the commet about the Blotched and the humidity levels - Just reading about about them in "Blue-Tongued Skinks, Contributions to 'Tiliqua' and 'Cyclodomorphus'", and the area of Australia where they come from (wetter and colder), So it is interesting to read your comment on the humidity levels. How low is the humidity where you are?

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 pm
by El Lobo
I assume we are referring to highland blotched. I live in one of the areas populated with the highlands which fits the description of "wetter and colder". Typically the humidity in a blotchy's enclosure is between 40-60%. Today it is 45% the same as outside humidity but earlier outside was at 72%, higher than normal but there has been 15 consecutive days of rain.

Re: Why not raise the humidity?

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm
by Chris.J
El Lobo wrote:I assume we are referring to highland blotched. I live in one of the areas populated with the highlands which fits the description of "wetter and colder". Typically the humidity in a blotchy's enclosure is between 40-60%. Today it is 45% the same as outside humidity but earlier outside was at 72%, higher than normal but there has been 15 consecutive days of rain.


Thanks El Lobo. Really good to know.