Moving questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Moving questions

Postby Vengeance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 am

Once again I have some questions, and as this is the only forum that I'm a member of that has years of experience with Blue Tongued Skinks, I figured here would be the best place to ask.

I've run into a conundrum and I need a bit of advice. In two weeks or so we'll be moving interstate from where we live in Brisbane, QLD to Sydney, NSW. The drive down last weekend took about 12-14 hours and is likely to take the same amount of time, give an hour or so as we're taking two cars this time. We've got the removalists collecting our items on the 24th, however we'll be staying a few days after to clean the house.

Now onto my questions, now that the circumstances have been explained:

Will a 19ltr click clack style tub suffice for temporary housing? Temporary will be two weeks at most. Measurements: metric - 50cm long, 32cm wide, 12cm high | imperial: 19.6in long, 12.5in, wide 4.7 in high. I can and will purchase a larger tub if necessary. Gizmo will most likely be moved from our current house to our new house in the tub, to reduce the stress. Any loose fixtures apart from a box hide will be removed prior to moving.

Will a heated tile be suitable for providing for Gizmo's heating needs during this time? We use these for our snake hatchlings as their only source of heat. I realise Blue Tongues bask, so would the lack of light over the hotspot create any issues? A heated tile is heat cord taped to the top of one tile with insulated tape, covered by another tile resting over the top. I will be using an on/off thermostat set to 32°c/90°f with the probe blu-tacked, or siliconed to the top tile. If I get a larger tub I will be able to use a basking light, but I'll need to use wire mesh for the section where the light is going to sit.

What would be the best way to provide lighting to a tub? Is it necessary for temporary housing? I can solder out some squares or a large square in the lid of the tub and replace it with fly mesh, or wire mesh.

I'm asking these questions as I know how to go about moving the snakes, and it's fairly straightforward, however Gizmo's enclosure is far too big to move easily and it will have to be cleaned prior to being picked up by the people who gave it to us (they want it back now). I'm thoroughly stressed out because of it, though Gizmo will definitely be getting a new enclosure as soon as we get there, but I need to allow for time to ensure the heating is working properly. I feel so bad now, I didn't know we were moving until after I got my reptiles, and I wasn't expecting the people to ask for the fish tank back (it was orginally my mother's boyfriend's brother's tank)... Any advice will be appreciated!

I can provide an image of the tub if asked, but it's not setup aside from the heat tile being placed inside to give me an idea on where to solder holes for the cable.
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Moving questions

Postby Susann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 pm

If Gizmo will be in it for up to two weeks, I might buy something a bit bigger. Something that will give him a warm and a cool side in the tub.
I don't know what this tub is like that you are talking about, maybe a picture of it would be good. If you are able to, put Gizmo in it so we can get an idea.

Over here we can buy big, clear tubs fairly cheaply. I just bought some that are 60cm X 40cm X 40cm, think I paid 8 USD for one. But with a see-through tub you wouldn't need to worry about lighting, even if the lid isn't see-through. Just put some air vents in it.

The heating tile sounds fine to me. You may want to consider something additional for an emergency, in case the heating tile breaks or malfunctions.
I don't know what the weather and temperatures are going to be like along the way, so keep that in mind, in case you need extra heat, or even some cooling options.
Don't feed him for a week prior to driving. That way you don't need to worry about poop, but more importantly, he won't be as sensitive to lower heat as he won't have food that needs to digest, and will be able to tolerate cold better.

Give him lots of material to burrow into to help him feel more secure.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Re: Moving questions

Postby Vengeance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Here is a picture:
Possibletemporarysetup1.jpg

For size reference the tile is 20cmx20cm/7.9inx7.9in. The substrate is about 4cm/1.6in deep. Gizmo looks dull because s/he's coming up to a shed (hopefully sheds before we move!).

I'll have to buy something bigger for certain, when set up it looks way too small. It might be okay for the move itself but I'm uncomfortable with leaving Gizmo in such a small enclosure for anything more than a few days. I'll have to make a trip to Bunnings, Big W or Kmart and see if I can find the longer under bed storage containers, or even a longer wider normal tub. 8USD sounds really cheap! Tubs that size here are at least double that, but cost isn't really a problem, just finding suitable tubs is what I'm having problems with. :noknow:

I forgot to add the temperatures of the area we're moving to, and the temperatures of where we are now. Currently we have temps of 22°c/72°f during the day and 8°c/46°f during the night, average temperature is a little higher than that, but the next few days are a little on the chilly side. I've been using a heater at night though, so the ambient temperature never dropped below 20°c/68°f overnight.

Where we are moving to has temperatures of 17°c/63°f during the day and 7°c/45°f during the night. Colder temps are forecast this week, but we're not moving there yet. The vehicle we're moving the reptiles in has heating, it will be on as we'll be travelling overnight.

I will take the advice of not feeding Gizmo the week prior to moving, we're applying the same to our snakes so they won't have digestion issues, I wasn't sure how soon to stop feeding Gizmo. Thank you for your input Susann, I appreciate it! :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Moving questions

Postby Susann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 pm

That actually looks bigger than I thought. I think that should do fine.

If you wanted to give him more space you could remove the hide box and put in towels or something. Just something he can hide under. That can get annoying though when the water bowl is in there, because you know he'll push everything around till it soaks up the water out of the bowl.
Last edited by Susann on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Moving questions

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 pm

From your picture, your bluey is an Eastern. Actually you will probably need to get an export permit from the Qld Govt and an import permit from NSW for the move legally. In NSW they used to be $20 or so. Also there is no need to worry about heating for an Eastern, just make sure that he hasn't eaten for a while before allowing him to cool down. A small enclosure is best for the trip with adequate breathing holes and make sure it is not crushable. For the move, a plastic lunch box with some holes drilled in it is all you need. The more room, the more he will move around. If he is cool he wont want to anyway.

Yeh you will also need a licence in NSW to keep a bluey.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Re: Moving questions

Postby Vengeance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Susann wrote:That actually looks bigger than I thought. I think that should do fine.

If you wanted to give him more space you could remove the hide box and put in towels or something. Just something he can hide under. That can get annoying though when the water bowl is in there, because you know he'll push everything around till it soaks up the water out of the bowl.

Alright, if I can't find anything bigger in the meantime I'll set this one up with ventilation holes. I'll be removing the water bowl for the move itself, I'll use paper towel or a pillowcase for Gizmo to hide under instead of the box. Thank you again. :)

Scotts1au wrote:From your picture, your bluey is an Eastern. Actually you will probably need to get an export permit from the Qld Govt and an import permit from NSW for the move legally. In NSW they used to be $20 or so. Also there is no need to worry about heating for an Eastern, just make sure that he hasn't eaten for a while before allowing him to cool down. A small enclosure is best for the trip with adequate breathing holes and make sure it is not crushable. For the move, a plastic lunch box with some holes drilled in it is all you need. The more room, the more he will move around. If he is cool he wont want to anyway.

Yeh you will also need a licence in NSW to keep a bluey.


Sorry I should have included Gizmo's species, you are correct though. I'm applying for the NSW licence online as soon as the lease is signed (next week), and will apply for the import permit online as well around the same time ($30.00 import license fee from memory), though I have to double check with the QLD department if moving them interstate under the same name before the six month period is allowable, or if it requires written permission (I'm contacting them today). I'll be printing out the electronic movement advice (essentially the QLD import/export permit) as late as possible, either through the library or printing it out here if time permits, as I've got seven days to send it both the buyer and receiver parts of the movement advice in. Thank you Scotts1au, your information is appreciated. :)

Edit: Woops, it was a movement permit, not movement advice. I'm applying for that today, given it'll take days to go through. Though I did find out that as they've moving with me, I won't need any permission or exemptions in regards to the six month rule, however I still need the movement permit for QLD and the license and import permit for NSW.

What is the best method of increasing the heat after we move and the enclosure is set up? Gradually or using a heat lamp? I really didn't want to cool Gizmo this year as s/he is a juvenile (six months old), though if it's not recommended to increase the heat, will it be detrimental to Gizmo's health in having cooled during the first year? Edit: Scratch that, the FAQ says it is alright for young blueys to into brumination, I'll raise temperatures gradually if Gizmo doesn't go into brumination.
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Moving questions

Postby Lea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am

I agree with Scott, don't fret about heating while you move. The temperatures will be high enough for him to be safe in transit to NSW.

You might find after keeping him cool for a couple of weeks, he'll want to carry on sleeping for a bit, even when you start to gradually increase temperatures, or he could just wake up fully, hungry and rearing to go. Either way is normal.

I hope your move goes smoothly.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Re: Moving questions

Postby Vengeance » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:10 am

LeaBilby wrote:I agree with Scott, don't fret about heating while you move. The temperatures will be high enough for him to be safe in transit to NSW.

You might find after keeping him cool for a couple of weeks, he'll want to carry on sleeping for a bit, even when you start to gradually increase temperatures, or he could just wake up fully, hungry and rearing to go. Either way is normal.

I hope your move goes smoothly.

Yes I've been fretting a bit too much, I think. Thank you to all, this advice has laid to rest most of my worries! Also thank you for the well wishes, our previous moves were quite a stressful time but so far this one has been fairly simple, aside from getting paperwork sorted and of course, having to drive interstate.

I've gotten the NSW license sorted (I know for certain where we are moving now), though I have to wait for the QLD DEHP to process the Movement Permit, before applying for the NSW import permit, which I can do online (all four of our reptiles are R1). In the meantime, I'll keep the heat on for another week before gradually decreasing it. A week after we move (once the new enclosure is set up and ready for animals) I'll attempt to bring Gizmo out of cooling by slowly raising the heat, but if it doesn't work I can't do much about it. Gizmo will still have access to water, and every few days, food should the bluey want it. :)
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
User avatar
pritya
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 am
Country:
Location: Indonesia

Re: Moving questions

Postby pritya » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 am

Hi all, I am planning to move from Indonesia to Hong Kong and am strongly considering taking my BTS with me. As I understand, my BTS is a Tiliqua scincoides as can be seen from my avatar herein.
Does any of the members here lives in HK and can give me some advice regarding moving BTS to HK, the quarantine requirement, license requirement, etc. Am also grateful for any recommendation of an experienced & trustworthy pet mover. Many thanks in advance!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 123 guests