Page 1 of 1

New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 am
by HVani
My journey began not too long ago when I was in the market or another reptile. I have had my corn snake for a while and I wanted to try something else. I went to a local reptile store with the sole purpose of looking at a Rainbow boa when I saw the blue tongue skinks. I had read some things about them years before but I had never seen one in person. I asked to hold him and was in love. I went home and read everything I could get my hands on about blue tongue skinks. I realized this would be a good option for me. So I went back in and bought him. This is Edgar.
Image
He's 3 years old and belonged to a customer at the store before he was surrendered. He's very docile and pretty lazy. I just love him. I have had him now for almost 2 weeks and he's one of the coolest pets I've ever had. He loves to just hang out with me on the couch and takes bananas from my hands. We don't always agree on whet he should eat(he was only being fed mice previously). But I think I can wait him out. He's fun to cook for.

Some more pictures because he's so cute.

Image

Image

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 am
by Dakota
Lovely Merauke!

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 am
by Linnea
Edgar looks really cool! :shock:
do you have lenght measurements? he also looks like hes quite long.

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am
by StaceyLeigh
He is just Gorgeous, :love: looks like he is really enjoying the sun :thumbs:

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 am
by HVani
He's 23.5" long.


He loves being outside. He also seems to like car rides.

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 am
by Alioop
Gorgeous skink! And welcome to the site!

I found your story very entertaining because that is EXACTLY how I ended up getting my first BTS! Started with a corn snake, wanted something new, went to the pet store, met a bts, fell in love... and the rest, as they say, is history!

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am
by Susann
Edgar has a very female build... but hard to tell from those pictures. Not that it matters :wink:

Welcome!
Congrats on buying the best pet ever! You will not regret that purchase, I can almost guarantee it. Besides BTS being the best pets, Meraukes are the best BTS :wink: ...but then again, I own 11 at the moment, so I might be biased.

Print out the food chart http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html and I might recommend you start with feeding him only once a week --he looks plenty healthy, even if he goes on an eating strike for you-- and start with offering him a good quality, high protein dog food. When he eats that, start mixing in finely chopped veggies. When he eats that, start adding finely chopped greens. And when he is eating that once a week, you can start giving him some fruity treats again, and then start leaving bigger chunks of veggies and greens to have his food not be so "pasty".

And please don't fret if he goes several weeks, even more than a month, without eating the healthier food you're offering. Where only mice aren't the worst food ever to feed, I can pretty much guarantee he is not getting the nutrients/vitamins/minerals that he needs to be healthy for 20+ years.

I also think we need LOTS more pictures of that cutie!

Re: New to Skinks

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm
by Richard.C
Congrats,nice looking merauke,looks in great shape to