Page 1 of 1

merauke or northern bts

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 pm
by skinks4me
hello I have been researching blue tongue skinks for a long while so I think im ready to get one. I do have experience with other reptiles. but I am having a little trouble choosing between meraukes and northern bts. I like how meraukes have the really long tails, but from what I've read northerns are more outgoing and have more personality. can anyone tell me if that is true or not because I really want skink with personality and if that is not true(which I don't think it is) can you tell me any other differences. thanks in advance

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
The main differences between the two are:
-The colors
-Northerns will always be captive bred, and Meraukes will almost always be wild-caught
-Northerns will always be aclimated to captivity, while the Merauke might be a little skittish
-A Merauke would appreciate more humidity then a Northern
-A Merauke is more likely to carry parasites

The personality really depends on the skink as an individual rather than a species.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm
by Sarikazam
ML's list pretty much sums it up nicely.
I would just like to add that I have a Merauke and Northern and personality-wise my Northern wins. My Merauke is still quite skittish most of the time and prefers to do his own thing (He can also be sweet and friendly), but my Northern always comes running up to the glass when you peak in. The being said my Northern also has more attitude while my Merauke rarely even huffs at me.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm
by skinks4me
thanks for the responses but I would not buy a wild caught merakue and I have spoken to a few breeders about them.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:38 pm
by skinks4me
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:The main differences between the two are:
-The colors
-Northerns will always be captive bred, and Meraukes will almost always be wild-caught
-Northerns will always be aclimated to captivity, while the Merauke might be a little skittish
-A Merauke would appreciate more humidity then a Northern
-A Merauke is more likely to carry parasites

The personality really depends on the skink as an individual rather than a species.

would you recommend different substrates between the two species. I also have no problem with high humidity animals. ive kept many species.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 am
by Coomassie
skinks4me wrote:would you recommend different substrates between the two species. I also have no problem with high humidity animals. ive kept many species.


Personally, I would not use aspen for a gigas species but I did use it for a while with my northern. I found it to be too dry for use with my skinks (but the humidity in my apartment is pretty low). Substrates like cypress or eco earth would be good for either species.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 am
by skinks4me
Coomassie wrote:
skinks4me wrote:would you recommend different substrates between the two species. I also have no problem with high humidity animals. ive kept many species.


Personally, I would not use aspen for a gigas species but I did use it for a while with my northern. I found it to be too dry for use with my skinks (but the humidity in my apartment is pretty low). Substrates like cypress or eco earth would be good for either species.

thanks for your reply
I think I may go with northerns I like their colors better

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:57 am
by Alioop
Cypress mulch is my all-time favorite substrate.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am
by Dakota
So far, I like "Care Fresh".. it's really soft, feels like clouds in a dream, and it's not to bad looking... but it expands in water..

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm
by skinks4me
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:The main differences between the two are:
-The colors
-Northerns will always be captive bred, and Meraukes will almost always be wild-caught
-Northerns will always be aclimated to captivity, while the Merauke might be a little skittish
-A Merauke would appreciate more humidity then a Northern
-A Merauke is more likely to carry parasites

The personality really depends on the skink as an individual rather than a species.


What would you say is the average length of a northern, because one of the things I like about meraukes is their length but if their average length is about the same I would definitely go with a northern.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm
by Richard.C
Pretty similar average lengths,northerns are bigger in snout to vent length though,meraukes have long tails in comparison

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:04 pm
by donkeybuff
Northerns are typically much heavier-bodied, so a 24 inch Northern would weigh more than a 24 inch Merauke, and would look bigger as well.

Re: merauke or northern bts

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 pm
by skinks4me
thanks so much for your replies im definitely going with a northern :D