Vision cages

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:56 am

I am looking at the Vision cages for upgrading my tanks, the one I am looking at is http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/vis ... sion-cage/ size is 48" X 28" X 18" Does anyone have these. How do you install lights? Also it states they are not stack-able with a heat light? This makes no sense to me, why would you have a tank without a heat lamp, reptiles need the heat?
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Vision cages

Postby Linnea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 am

if you look at the extra vent area, there is a line on top of it for the heat lamp cord to go through, even if theres another tank on top of it :D
at least thats what it looks like to me...
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Vision cages

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 am

HurricaneJen only uses Vision Cages.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:HurricaneJen only uses Vision Cages.


Thanks I sent her a PM.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Vision cages

Postby Coomassie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 pm

A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.
Cay T.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Vision cages

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Coomassie wrote:A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.

That thing to the top left is where the light goes.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Vision cages

Postby Bird_Brain » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:
Coomassie wrote:A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.

That thing to the top left is where the light goes.

She was making a general statement about comnercially made reptile cages. No need to try and "correct" her when she was already correct
Brad
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby Jeff » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm curious where you saw that you can't stack them if you use heat lamps? They are made to be used that way. I have used visions in the past and love them. If I could afford to buy 50 of them, that's probably the way I would go. The only negative to them in my opinion is the price, and I am NOT suggesting that they are over-priced, just that it is cost prohibitive if you need a large number of them.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Vision cages

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Practically all of the cages here are Vision:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LLLReptile1
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Jeff wrote:I'm curious where you saw that you can't stack them if you use heat lamps? They are made to be used that way. I have used visions in the past and love them. If I could afford to buy 50 of them, that's probably the way I would go. The only negative to them in my opinion is the price, and I am NOT suggesting that they are over-priced, just that it is cost prohibitive if you need a large number of them.


I went back to the website, and I can't find anything about not stack -able either :oops: I have looked at at least a dozen different tanks over the past couple of weeks, and I obviously mixed this up with another type, sorry. The price I found to be quite average, not cheapest, but there are way more expensive ones. I will probable only get a couple each year, I don't need the quanity you would Jeff, so it's not so bad for me :D Thanks for bring that up, solved one issue!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Vision cages

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Here's a list of cages you can buy:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23238

A cage that size normally costs two hundred dollars.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Vision cages

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm

200 odd isnt bad,over here that size are closer to the 1000 dollar range,different brands though and to costly for my liking,in my climate im not an overly huge fan of them,they take to much to warm in colder weather and seem to get very hot in warmer weather,dont insulate well,if i had better control of ambient temps they would be better ,but i find melamine safer in my uninsulated tin shed
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Vision cages

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:18 pm

To explain more what im dribbling on about,these cages are designed for ideal conditions,climate controlled rooms or rooms that overly fluctuate,consistent temps,often providing for one small wattage bulb to provide the basking spot,even the 6 foot long models,some offer more though,ive had to custom fit light holders in mine as they arent designed to handle the wattage bulbs i need through light holder area,when i used what it was designed for that it was woeful,couldnt even raise basking temp enough with elevated basking spot,let alone affect back ground temp

My temps fluctuate big time,room temp can drop as low as 6 and get into the 40S in hot weather,so zero consistancy,the plastic gets very hot when room temps up,even with zero heating on,absorbs heat as its poorly insulated and i have to move lizards elsewhere during hot spells,i dont have that issue with wood cages or fairly open aquariums

Thats just my conditions though,which these cages arent designed for
Chris.J
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Vision cages

Postby Chris.J » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

I am interested in your decision, as I am thinking about getting one as well :) Please keep us Posted.

I know LLL Reptile also sells them as packages so you can get the mini ceramic lamp, 100 watt heat bulb, 20" fluorescent fixture and bedding with it.

I still haven't decided to get the 72 inch or 48 inch.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Vision cages

Postby Scincoides » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:31 pm

I have Eight of these. Mine are all stacked with heat lamps and ive never had any issues at all. I love these things. I would keep all of my Skinks in them if they weren't so costly.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Valley Reptiles wrote:I have Eight of these. Mine are all stacked with heat lamps and ive never had any issues at all. I love these things. I would keep all of my Skinks in them if they weren't so costly.

How did you add the UVB light, if you have them?
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

Anyone who uses these is there a stand you would recommend, I don't want to put any of them directly on the floor. It is too hard to get to the bottom 1, and I have cats, that will sit there and scare the BTS.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Vision cages

Postby Scincoides » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

All of mine have the optional center vent which fits an 18 inch florescent fixture perfectly. I don't use a stand, but I really wish I did. The bottom cages are a pain to get down to, I'm 6'8 so its a loong way down for me. Also if one of the skinks in the bottom enclosures decides to hide at the back of the cage when I need to get it out, I have to lay down on the floor to reach back there. Its a pain
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Vision cages

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Just ordered the 48" X 28" X 18 vision cage. So excited to get this. Calypso gets the 1st one, she sure deserves the first upgrade after that birth experience! I hope to order a second by the end of the summer. Then 2 next year. I will post pictures when I get it all set up.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Vision cages

Postby Coomassie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 am

StaceyLeigh wrote:Just ordered the 48" X 28" X 18 vision cage. So excited to get this. Calypso gets the 1st one, she sure deserves the first upgrade after that birth experience! I hope to order a second by the end of the summer. Then 2 next year. I will post pictures when I get it all set up.


I want to see pictures when you get her all set up!
Cay T.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 387 guests