Page 1 of 1

Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 pm
by hurricanejen
Hey all! I know I've gotten some messages here, on the LLL facebook, and our youtube about updating on the skinkers at our breeding center. Been a busy month and a rough month on my end, so apologies to anyone I may have been short with, and apologies all around for taking so long! I'm pretty stoked with how they're all doing, everyone is now eating regularly and getting to a weight I'm comfortable with, and I finally have a good routine down for care. That is part of why I haven't been able to update sooner - just plain BUSY! :)

I don't have ID numbers this time around, sorry, as by now I recognize them individually and know their cages. This is 'that meraukey looking indonesiany one'
Image

This is one of the Irian Jayas I had posted the first time around, a chunky little monkey
Image

Top view of one of the "high contrast" irian Jayas
Image

That gorgeous reddish pinkish merauke that hates everything
Image

my favorite Irian Jaya, the one with the head scar
Image

The Axanthic, who is now a happy piggy and will take fuzzies out of tweezers
Image

Another Irian Jaya, another one that came in fat and has stayed that way :)
Image

I've tentatively started pairing skinks here and there to try and behaviorally sex them...so far no luck. This was a pair of Meraukes I tried the other day
Image

Another "meraukey" indonesian hanging out
Image

One of the "yellow" indonesians that isn't really yellow. Sure are pretty, though
Image

Remember the one I had asked if it might be a Kei Island? Yeah, definitely a pretty Indo. Turns out its back legs don't work right, but it's pigging out like a champ too
Image

The MEANEST indo in the group - also very pretty.
Image

Remember the big Halmahara skinks that looked black and white while they were in shed? They shed out with a faint tannish hue to them. They're still my favorite Indos.
Image

Those baby Irian Jayas are getting big fast - they started at about 70 grams and are now a little over 200 g
Image

The other baby Irian Jaya - getting some really pretty colors to it!
Image

Lastly, one of the darker brown Indos
Image

As you can see, lots of chunky chunky skinks now. Just got in a couple more Meraukes, which I'm happy about - they're a really pretty locale and I'd like to be able to try and make more of the pretty pinky/red ones. Preferably with a better attitude than that gorgeous one!

If I get any breeding I'll share pics. Right now it's just a giant mess of unsexed skinks that are now in good condition, so the pairing begins. I may be too late to really succeed this year, but I figure as long as I watch them it doesn't hurt to try pairing anyway.

-Jen

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:15 pm
by Richard.C
Looking great jen,alot of variety in that lot,hard to choose a fave,lol

Thanks for updating,and no stress,sometimes we all get rather busy

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
The Meraukes and Indos :love:

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:13 pm
by Katrina
I love seeing pic heavy threads from you! :D

Gorgeous skinks, all of them. They all look so healthy.

Sorry to hear about a rough month, hope things get easier for you. We definitely appreciate any and all pictures you share!

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm
by UroFreak13
Beautiful!!!

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm
by Susann
I've missed you!
:shock: Holy smokers, them be some pretty lizards!!! :shock:

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 am
by hurricanejen
Thanks guys!

And yeah, they're pretty gorgeous :) Trying to figure out the sexes is killin me, I wanna make babies! It's super satisfying to look back at their start weights and where they're at now.

If I ever figure out the genders this year I'll let you all know... suspecting I may have to wait a year for them to cycle at a good weight first.

-Jen

Re: Update thread - pic heavy!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm
by Richard.C
might be a case of cycling them and trying intros to determine there sexes if obvious visual sexing doesnt work/difficult,a good breeder male is good for that

your in a great position with so many at your disposal to compare against and/or try behaviour sexing with the trickier ones