What snails to feed?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

What snails to feed?

Postby Buddy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 am

What snail makes a good feeder? A. Achantina, A. fulica? Other species?
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Linnea » Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 pm

any snail with a shell that is edible or disposable. no saltwater snails though.

Cepaea hortensis
Cepaea nemoralis
Arianta arbustorum (found around nettles, so likely vitamin rich)

are the most common here and it is a very well rounded snail when it comes to nutrients.

Helix pomatia. Be sure to cook some for yourself too, but leave the shell aside. theyre common in areas where european monks have lived as it is a savoury treat. probably very protein rich.
i got a colony of them over here so i can find them whenever i need to see something exotic looking.

dont feed slugs. ew.

apple snails should be good too.

beware of the parasite risk, available in all snails (wether cbb or caught in nature)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Buddy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Are you talking about snails in the wild here in Sweden? I don't know about that.. A bit wary when it comes to feeding wild caught. I have however ordered a whole batch of A. achantica today :D
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Linnea » Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Buddy wrote:Are you talking about snails in the wild here in Sweden? I don't know about that.. A bit wary when it comes to feeding wild caught. I have however ordered a whole batch of A. achantica today :D


yes, i wrote about the wild ones. sorry.
as long as you remove the enormous shell i think the african land snail should be great. im not entirely sure if they can be staple feeders though.

and theyre very pretty :shock:
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Buddy » Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 pm

The ones I'm getting are really small at the moment, and I plan to feed them off whilst still small :) They were more meant as a bit of variety than a staple feeder.

Yeah they're so cool :D I plan to keep a couple of them as "pets"
Last edited by Buddy on Fri May 10, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Buddy » Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm

But what snail are to be considered a good frequent feeder then? I read in the food chart that snails can be fed frequently.
Laurenk
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What snails to feed?

Postby Laurenk » Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 am

I just use Exo Terra canned garden snails. I'm worried about parasites, but I might get her a couple live butterworms or something as a treat.
Lauren

Proud owner of: 1.0.0. Normal Corn Snake (Snickers)
0.1.0. Merauke (Cocoa)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 315 guests