A Breeding Poll

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!

Do you think it's ok to breed different species with other different species?

Yes, aslong as the owner tells the buyers of the babies that they are hybrids.
38%
No
42%
Yes
4%
Yes, aslong as the owner doesn't sell the babies.
15%

Total votes: 26
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:08 pm

Well I'm not going to change my mind. As pretty as the hybrid babies would be I would never buy one and I would never cross breed the species, I just don't think it's right. If it happens in the wild that's fine but it doesn't mean that we need/should do it with captive BTS.
Kids - Kayla Renae 16.03.2008 and Ashton Noah 19.04.2009
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Blotched blue tongue - Lilly
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:14 pm

I'm simply gonna say this - It's a naturally occuring thing - and you guys sitting there saying that it's wrong are basically saying mother nature is wrong and that messed up.
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:18 pm

It might be a naturally occuring thing but it doesn't happen that often. You don't walk around the bush and see cross bred BTS, you see pure BTS. If people started cross breeding species in captivity it would happen a lot more often!
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:50 pm

not really - considering the population of wild BTS. Anyway - how do you or any of us know exactly how many naturally occuring hybrids are out there? Fact is - Hybrids will be bred - if not by anyone else - They will be bred by me, or atleast I'll leave it to my Blotchie and eastern, which I might add needed no coaxing. I understand we have differing opinions - this much is obvious - Just realize this - if it wasn't supposed to happen naturally, it wouldn't happen.
~|=|>-

Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 pm

Well you can do it if you want but I wouldn't do it! (I mean that in a nice way too :D !)
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
SassySkinks
Skink Ranch
Skink Ranch

Postby SassySkinks » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:06 pm

WOW, dont you love differences of opinions. I think we could safely say that everyone will agree to disagree on hybrids, whether they are mules or fertiles.

The main thing to consider is that no matter what YOU think, the breeding of hybrids WILL happen whether you like it or not. People have been hybridizing birds for centuries. In the past 30 years the main thing to affect pure strains has not been hybrids, its been mutations. It is almost impossible now to buy a "pure" normal Gouldian finch, but there are about 60 colour mutations available. Or if you can buy a 'normal' Gouldian, they wont breed pure, just mutations.

Responsibility is the key word here!! Breeders must act responsibly. In Australia, some state governments have banned the breeding of hybrids, but that still doesnt stop it. States like NSW, although they dont encourage hybrids, they still have a system in place so that the animals are not pushed aside and there breeders punished. This would only cause animals to be released into the wild.

Hybrids will always remain an issue for those who hate them. BUT, we must encourage those that do bred them, to act responsibily, publish their findings in popular and scientific literature, and ensure progeny are sold thoughtfully.
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

I declare this day "Debate Solving Day!"

Postby Tiliquagirl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:28 pm

We all sit here and debate about these things and then someone just comes along and solves it! That was a good post sassyskinks :) !
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:26 pm

How can you say we are arguing then sassy comes in and solves it - I have been saying that it happens naturally and pretty much everything sassy said. I do thank Sassy for the post - and as stated at the start - any Hybrids that are born will not be sold as anything but hybrids and to trustworthy buyers - after all these are my kids.
~|=|>-

Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:25 pm

Well, a lot of people selling them to 'trustworthy buyers' I'll just say money is money.

"state governments have banned the breeding of hybrids"

Ever wonder why?
danny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby danny » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:49 pm

:D if you guys agree that it may happen in the wild but this a rare thing, then you should be cool with blotch..
he is the only one that wants to do it, that makes him the rare thing..

lol..no offence blotch
cheers
danny

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”