Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
nmcnick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa, United States of America

Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby nmcnick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm

I've heard all loose substrates run the risk of causing impaction, and while I see this as completely plausible, I don't see Coco Fiber (Eco Earth) as impacting a skink very easily. The main reason I bring this up is because my skink will NOT eat insects outside of his terrarium, and this runs the risk of him accidentally eating some coco fiber. Should I stop feeding him insects all together, replace his substrate with repticarpet or tile, or am I just worrying to much? Thanks for further input~
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Any loose substrate will bring some risk of impaction. Feeding live food in a tank with loose substrate further increases that risk. I use a chunkier loose substrate and I never feed live food in their tanks to reduce those risks. I think the risk with the cocofiber is small, but a risk I'm not willing to take. Might be safer to go with a 'chunkier' substrate like coco bark? Repticarpet is safe, but my bluey wasnt a big fan and it was a pain to clean...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 pm

That being said, coco fiber is an acceptable substrate that supposedly works well. I was just giving you my personal opinion on the matter.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
nmcnick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa, United States of America

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby nmcnick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Kurt wrote:Any loose substrate will bring some risk of impaction. Feeding live food in a tank with loose substrate further increases that risk. I use a chunkier loose substrate and I never feed live food in their tanks to reduce those risks. I think the risk with the cocofiber is small, but a risk I'm not willing to take. Might be safer to go with a 'chunkier' substrate like coco bark? Repticarpet is safe, but my bluey wasnt a big fan and it was a pain to clean...



Any idea why he wont eat outside of his terrarium? I might go with the bark.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm

No clue? I have a large rubbermaid tub that I use for feeding. My northern is a pig and will eat anywhere so it's no issue. My merauke is a little bit more reserved and will only eat in the tub about half the time. Have you tried using some type of tub?
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
nmcnick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa, United States of America

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby nmcnick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Not yet, actually.. I just sat her on the table with some crawling worms and she wasnt at all interested. She just wanted to hide in my shirt lol. Ill try that when I can.
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby UroFreak13 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:46 am

Another option is feeding in a rubbermaid container with no substrait, it eliminates the risk of inpaction
User avatar
juliec1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 am
Country:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby juliec1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am

ok im new, so be patient... what is Impaction??
Julie
1 Juvi Merauke (Tiny)
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby UroFreak13 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 am

It is when your animal injests substrait and they cannot pass it, a vet is usually needed to clear te inpaction
nmcnick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa, United States of America

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby nmcnick » Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm

So I tried a rubbermaid container, works perfectly. Thanks y'all!
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby UroFreak13 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Good some arn sure about eating in a strage place, glad it worked out :D
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Coco Fiber: Impaction risk?

Postby Lea » Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 pm

juliec1 wrote:ok im new, so be patient... what is Impaction??



Impaction is the term used to refer to any blockage in the digestive tract. Faecal impaction can be caused by a number of things, it doesn't have to be substrate and can be related to dehydration or any other physiological/pathological cause.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 256 guests