Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SeSmith
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm
Country:
Location: Grand Rapids

Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby SeSmith » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi there,

New here, and fairly new to skink-keeping...just had a couple questions regarding some things that were concerning me. So I have a (what I think is) female Northern blue tongue that I received back in October when she was a month old. Mia is now 7 months old, and I was just curious if anyone had a similar-aged Northern to compare her to. She's just over 13" total length, and is a VERY picky eater, so it's been a struggle to get her feeding. She even refuses scrambled eggs if all else fails...she's cwazy! Haha. I was just wondering if 13" total is a reasonable size for a 7-month old Northern? Here's a picture of her I just snapped, albeit a bad one:

Image

Now, my other question...when I initially purchased her online, I noticed in the pic provided that the end of her tail was slightly upturned, but I thought nothing of it with her being only a month old and the nature of the pic. Now at 7 months, her tail curls up significantly more at the end. I've felt it, and it feels like the verterbrae at the end of her tail were broken and healed that way, so I'm thinking her tail was nipped as a youngling, or it's a congenital defect? Picture:

Image

Any ideas? It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't seem to bother her...just curious if anyone's seen this before. Thanks!
User avatar
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: Scotland

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby Shortie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm

If it doesn't bother her then that's a good thing! Not sure if a lot of skinks have it. But my Slinky has a sticky up tip too! And his tail is crooked because he had MBD :( Maybe that's what caused it but I guess we'll never know. In my opinion, if my skink is happy, then I'm happy :)
Slinky the Tanimbar :)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby Katrina » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm

A couple of mine have it, it's not abnormal. :D

13" is definitely a reasonable size. There is lots of variation but 13" sounds about right. Lovely skink!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby Richard.C » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 am

a cew of my outdoor blotchies get the tail tip loft thing,not sure how they get it though,possably frpm climbing at walls and using tail,but cant say for sure as plenty do it and dont get the curled up tip
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 am

It is a normal variation.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby Dakota » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Seems normal to me.. I have to say.. that is one beautiful Northern. :yikes:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
SeSmith
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm
Country:
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Tip of tail broken? And how's her growth lookin'?

Postby SeSmith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone! And tank yah tank yah for the compliments, Katrina and Dakota! I love her, even though she was Satan reincarnated for the first 2 solid months I had her, haha. I would seriously walk by her enclosure and if I even looked at her wrong she'd show no mercy. Now (with much effort!) she's an angel.

Yeah, I'm thinking this was something she was just born with, and am not attributing it to MBD or anything like that, because she's in otherwise great shape. I also think she'd probably be a little bigger too if she wasn't constantly trying to brumate and refuse food for the past few months, but I was worried about her going into brumation at only 2 months old, so kept pulling her out.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 182 guests