Page 1 of 1

Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic* - General Discussion

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
This gives insight to the natural habitat of Tiliqua gigas. This shows the species they live with as well as their environment.
http://www.markoshea.info/research_fiel ... a10-1b.php
http://www.markoshea.info/research_fiel ... a10-2b.php
http://www.markoshea.info/research_fiel ... a06-2c.php
http://www.markoshea.info/research_fiel ... 8-3bii.php

The native people also believe that they are venomous, which is why the animal in the second link is injured(they stabbed it).

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:43 pm
by Linnea
* adding that the skink in the article is alive and well and treated. nothing could prepare me for those images.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:56 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Didn't seem that bad to me... I added Graphic Image warning on top.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm
by Dakota
I did not know Meraukes were called Southern Giants! :D
Nice photos, love seeing wild ones!

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am
by Spindown
Poor bluey! Although the bandages made me smile...its just cute. I hope it ends up being OK!

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
SapphireTigress wrote:Poor bluey! Although the bandages made me smile...its just cute. I hope it ends up being OK!

At the time of leaving PNG several weeks later the skink was doing well and the dressing had been removed.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 am
by Spindown
I meant ok as in, after it leaves someone doesnt stab it again...

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 pm
by Scotts1au
The locals kill blueys on site in png. I don't know why they would believe they are poisonous. But this tradition appears to occur across png.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm
by Spindown
That is so sad...I'm not sure why they would think they are venomous, as anyone bit would get a small abrasion/bruise and NOT DIE from venom! X_x

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm
by El Lobo
Scotts1au wrote:The locals kill blueys on site in png. I don't know why they would believe they are poisonous. But this tradition appears to occur across png.


They also shoot Eclectus parrots.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm
by Scotts1au
:shake: At least they probably eat them - you should see some of the things I've seen on farms in Victoria.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm
by Lea
El Lobo wrote:
Scotts1au wrote:The locals kill blueys on site in png. I don't know why they would believe they are poisonous. But this tradition appears to occur across png.


They also shoot Eclectus parrots.





And they wear penis gourds.


But Aussies shoot kangaroos, the English kill deer and send packs of dogs after foxes. I guess it's culture to them, too and without education, it won't change. Maybe there's an opening for a BTS Missionary in PNG :thinking:

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm
by El Lobo
In PNG Eclectus are shot because they have developed a taste for maize. In WA Carnabys because they have developed a taste for canola. Neither are killed as a food source.

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic*

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:19 pm
by Spindown
I have 0 issues with hunting to eat. Ignorance killing or sport killing upsets me :(

Re: Wild Tiliqua Gigas *Graphic* - General Discussion

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:49 pm
by Fatal_S
I'm splitting this into two topics. The general stuff is to stay here. I am leaving the original post in the advanced discussion as well, so it can still be discussed there as long as the general info/banter stays here.