Page 1 of 1

Question about Skink refusing to eat.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am
by ladyluckk
Hello, I have been a long time reader on the forum, and my Skink Blueberry went through winter great, and hibernated and did his thing with the whole not eating for about two months. But right now he is super active, we take him out to play every day and he does drink but he refuses all food!

I will admit this is my first winter with him, and he is a little over 2 years old. I adopted him last year. He was a really great eater when I got him and loved chowing down.
I have just been reading up on all of your great Skinks, and reading about hibernation and I feel like he should be eating about right now. I know I may just be over paranoid but I just want the guy to be healthy and happy.


Any tips to make him interested in food again? Or should I just let him be and keep offering him food and he will eat when he is ready?

Re: Question about Skink refusing to eat.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm
by Dakota
I read on the care-sheet, giving him live foods could stimulate him to eat normal food after a while.. but I have not brumated my babies, so not speaking from experience.

Re: Question about Skink refusing to eat.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 pm
by Katrina
Males coming out of brumation are interested in breeding - not in food! That is why he has been so active. I'd monitor his weight and make sure he isn't losing too much and keep offering healthy meals. Give him a couple weeks then start trying treat foods etc, but don't worry too much. If he isn't losing much weight then leave him be, once he feels that breeding season is over he will start showing interest in food again.

Re: Question about Skink refusing to eat.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm
by Richard.C
x2 what kat said,quite normal for males after brumation

Re: Question about Skink refusing to eat.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 pm
by ladyluckk
Okay thanks! I will definitely do that.