Page 1 of 1

New tank!!

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 pm
by Moniques78
I just wanted to show off Blueberry's new cage. I am so happy with him...before me he was fed only crickets. Now I'm getting him to eat canned dog food mixed with greens and fruits. I hope as he grow the lump on his back gets smaller :( . Anyway, how often should i be giving him the calcium with d3? It's the one by repashy.[album][/album]

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm
by UroFreak13
Nice setup

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 pm
by Katrina
How often are you feeding? How old is he? He looks pretty small, so if you're feeding every couple days and he is still young and growing quickly I'd sprinkle calcium every feeding to every second feeding.

Enclosure looks great! Looks like you have room to add another snug hide or two - I'm sure he'd appreciate it with the sides being all glass. It might be nice to cover 2-3 of the sides to make him feel safer in there. :D

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm
by UroFreak13
Eagle eyes over here haha how can u see him

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm
by Spindown
I can see him, he is a little guy :D Second what Kat said regarding adding more hides, they LOVE hides :D

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 pm
by Dakota
I always though MBD is irreversible, am I wrong? But since he is small, they will become less pronounced, right? ..as he grows

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm
by Fatal_S
The waves in the bone can be somewhat pulled straight as a small skink grows bigger. The bone will never return to a truly normal state though, there will always be a bit of a bump.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 pm
by Moniques78
Thanks for all the input!! I feed every other day. Also, the rocks to the right side are a cave but i did add some more stones to make another hide on the backside. I plan on getting a log hide too. Here are some pics taken today. You see can see his tail sticking out from the stones on the back lol.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm
by Dakota
Doesn't look too bad if you ask me, so as long as you fixed what was he was missing, should be unnoticable when he is older. :thumbs:

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm
by Moniques78
That makes me feel better!! So far he eats everything I give him...he's not a picky eater.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 pm
by Moniques78
Also, how good is the dehydrated omnivore mix by zilla? I feed it to my beardie and gave it to my bts a couple times and he loved it. Looking for opinions...

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 pm
by Dakota
Oh wow- that looks great. I'm not sure what the dehydration would do to the nutrients. Probably would be cheaper just mixing your own food, and probably better for the guy.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm
by Richard.C
dakotanivens wrote:Doesn't look too bad if you ask me, so as long as you fixed what was he was missing, should be unnoticable when he is older. :thumbs:



bumps wont heal them selves,as they grow they may become less noticable,but generally you will still see signs,,but if you feed correctly with supplementation they shouldnt get worse,which is the main thing,no reason why he cant live a normal healthy life

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm
by Dakota
Richard.C wrote:
dakotanivens wrote:Doesn't look too bad if you ask me, so as long as you fixed what was he was missing, should be unnoticable when he is older. :thumbs:



bumps wont heal them selves,as they grow they may become less noticable,but generally you will still see signs,,but if you feed correctly with supplementation they shouldnt get worse,which is the main thing,no reason why he cant live a normal healthy life

That's what I meant.. :thumbs:

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm
by Katrina
dakotanivens wrote:
Richard.C wrote:
dakotanivens wrote:Doesn't look too bad if you ask me, so as long as you fixed what was he was missing, should be unnoticable when he is older. :thumbs:



bumps wont heal them selves,as they grow they may become less noticable,but generally you will still see signs,,but if you feed correctly with supplementation they shouldnt get worse,which is the main thing,no reason why he cant live a normal healthy life

That's what I meant.. :thumbs:


That is not at all what you said. You told the original poster, based on no experience with MBD, and admitting earlier in the thread that you thought that MBD was reversible, that it should be unnoticeable when the skink is older. Based on NO EXPERIENCE and NO KNOWLEDGE on the matter. You basically know absolutely nothing on the matter but were comfortable telling the poster that is should be ok.

In these cases, it is best to just stay quiet or offer nice words of support but NOT ADVICE or speculations. This is exactly why there is so much misinformation floating about the internet. Guessing or offering speculations is much worse than just not posting - in future don't make wild speculations based on absolutely nothing.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am
by Dakota
No no no no, I was making sure that I knew it was irreversible.. hence my question, but from what I read on here, it does become less pronounced as the spine grows and develops..
When I said it should be unnoticable, I didn't mean they went away, I meant when he grew, since the spine stretches, it should be unnoticable..

Sorry for the miscommunication.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm
by Katrina
dakotanivens wrote:No no no no, I was making sure that I knew it was irreversible.. hence my question, but from what I read on here, it does become less pronounced as the spine grows and develops..
When I said it should be unnoticable, I didn't mean they went away, I meant when he grew, since the spine stretches, it should be unnoticable..

Sorry for the miscommunication.


Dakota - when I was probably about your age, I did the same thing. I for some reason never wanted to be wrong, so I always found ways that things weren't my fault or 'that's what I meant to say, it just didn't come out right' kind of thing. Always excuses. Finally, I had a coach in sports call me on it. They straight out told me that it was my mistake, I was wrong and to get over it. I was mad at first, but I think it is one of the most valuable lessons I ever learned and I wish I could thank them over a decade later. It is much, much easier to admit that you were wrong or that it was your mistake and move on. And usually, admitting your error and learning from it actually helps people respect you - it takes a lot to admit that you were wrong.

Always back-pedalling and trying to find ways that it way 'what you meant to say, just was misinterpreted' doesn't fool anyone and doesn't gain you any respect.

In under a month you have 234 posts. In none of those have you ever been wrong. But on lots of those we have misinterpreted what you said, you didn't communicate clearly, we didn't understand, that's what you meant. :thumbs: Obviously you're not wrong - you have over 5-6 years of experience! You're not fooling anyone and you'll gain people's respect by just saying 'I didn't know, thanks for correcting me'.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone on here is still learning. Get over yourself and learn to admit when you're wrong.

Original poster - sorry for the sidetrack!

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:02 pm
by Dakota
Katrina wrote:
dakotanivens wrote:No no no no, I was making sure that I knew it was irreversible.. hence my question, but from what I read on here, it does become less pronounced as the spine grows and develops..
When I said it should be unnoticable, I didn't mean they went away, I meant when he grew, since the spine stretches, it should be unnoticable..

Sorry for the miscommunication.


Dakota - when I was probably about your age, I did the same thing. I for some reason never wanted to be wrong, so I always found ways that things weren't my fault or 'that's what I meant to say, it just didn't come out right' kind of thing. Always excuses. Finally, I had a coach in sports call me on it. They straight out told me that it was my mistake, I was wrong and to get over it. I was mad at first, but I think it is one of the most valuable lessons I ever learned and I wish I could thank them over a decade later. It is much, much easier to admit that you were wrong or that it was your mistake and move on. And usually, admitting your error and learning from it actually helps people respect you - it takes a lot to admit that you were wrong.

Always back-pedalling and trying to find ways that it way 'what you meant to say, just was misinterpreted' doesn't fool anyone and doesn't gain you any respect.

In under a month you have 234 posts. In none of those have you ever been wrong. But on lots of those we have misinterpreted what you said, you didn't communicate clearly, we didn't understand, that's what you meant. :thumbs: Obviously you're not wrong - you have over 5-6 years of experience! You're not fooling anyone and you'll gain people's respect by just saying 'I didn't know, thanks for correcting me'.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone on here is still learning. Get over yourself and learn to admit when you're wrong.

Original poster - sorry for the sidetrack!

I know I'm not perfect! :thumbs: I know I'm wrong on stuff, I do need to start "previewing" my post before commenting.. old habit.

Again- sorry.

Re: New tank!!

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 pm
by Dakota
Especially when I thought that one indonesian was an axanthic.. how embarrassing! :oops: But I realize I was wrong.