More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:32 pm

I tried real hard to get more pics of the different skinks - some of them still look pretty beat up but they are all starting to go through shed cycles and gain weight and look nice. My favorites are definitely the Irian Jayas at this point, with the Meraukes coming in at a close second. All the Indos still hate me, and they're all spunky enough now to start trying to eat my fingers every time I open the cage. Weeeeeee!
For any that missed the previous post about these, most of these skinks arrived in large shipments and are still being acclimated - they're primarily wild caught and are definitely quite a project. They're really coming around now, and I can't wait to see what they look like after they've all shed out another time or two.

And, just as a side note, I've noticed in the group a distinct correlation in appetite between the skinks I switched over to basking bulbs (despite the bulbs being slightly lower wattage) over "daylight" style bulbs. The ones under the basking lights have much, much better appetites than the ones under regular daylight bulbs. Ambient temps with both bulbs are similar (80s), but the basking spots are, naturally, much hotter under the basking bulbs. Work links 'cause they're easy to show you what I'm referring to:
Basking: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-bulbs-night-heat-bulbs-ceramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-50-watt-basking-bulb/
Daylight: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-bulbs-night-heat-bulbs-ceramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-60-watt-day-bulb/

I just thought it'd be worth mentioning - most of us only have a handful of skinks we devote our time to, my personal collection included, so it was neat for me to see a correlation among a larger group of skinks being housed identically in every other way besides light bulb style. Today with the other breeding manager I'll be switching out the remaining bulbs, it's a pretty clear difference and I feel it's worth it to switch all of them immediately rather than wait as bulbs blow out.

So, the pics:
The mix:
1 lb raw turkey, 2 raw eggs (shells included), 1 grated carrot, 1/8 grated butternut squash, 1/2 yellow squash, 1/2 mexican squash, 1/4 cup finely chopped broccoli, 1 banana, 1 cup finely chopped spring mix, 2 big tablespoons Reptivite w/D3

Nom!
Image

I love the Irian Jayas, they don't care at all about what I'm doing in the cage, they just want the chow!
Image

Starting the babies right - this one happily crunched down some egg shell without a problem.
Image

Mmmmm good stuff
Image

This particular Indo is really dark, and really ugly, and he wasn't doing the greatest initially - some TLC and his appetite is the best of the bunch, to the point where he was initially very laid back and sweet but now he's trying to eat anything that moves once his door opens. I'm stoked!
Image

"What are you looking at?"
Image

My favorite Merauke giving me crazy eyes before running away
Image

One of the axanthics - these are really shy, and messing with them causes them to go off feed sometimes, so I don't take pics of them often
Image

My very favorite Irian Jaya - funky colored guy, bad head scarring, extremely sweet and has it figured out that I bring food, so he always comes up to the glass to say hi.
Image

I like his funky color, I personally haven't really seen too many this color before. You can see his head scarring better here.
Image

"oh...oh what's this?"
Image

"OH I EAT THIS"
Image

To denote feeding/non feeding skinks I have notecards and feed them in different sized bowls - any that didn't eat much/at all the week before get a note and are offered a smaller amount in a smaller bowl. I was thrilled to see this one happily chowing down and offered it second helpings, which it also ate.
Image

Thanks for looking! :)

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
DrakeLineous12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm
Country:
Location: Washington, DC

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby DrakeLineous12 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't really understand the purpose of the regular daylight bulbs except maybe to increase the ambient temps, 'specially when basking bulbs are there for use,
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Are the skinks in pictures 6,11, and 12 the same animal?
Do you have a picture of its/their back patterns?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:39 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Are the skinks in pictures 6,11, and 12 the same animal?
Do you have a picture of its/their back patterns?


3 and 4 are the same, 9 and 10 are the same, 11 and 12 are the same.

No back pics today, most are skittish and I didn't want to bother them much more while they were eating.

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Jeff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 pm

That's quite a pile of skinks! What is your goal with them? What I mean is, are you trying to establish certain sized breeding groups of each type? Is so, what kind of ratios would you like of each? From what you have posted, it appears all the LLL skinks are indos, meraukes, Tanimbars, and IJ's. is that all of them?

I don't mean to sound like I'm grilling you, these are just the questions that I have every time you post. I think it would be wonderful if you could start producing these species/sub-species in captivity to lessen the demand for WC animals. This is the kind of thing that makes me happy with a company like LLL. I wish you the best of luck with this project.

By the way, I vacation in the San Diego area every summer, and have been to every LLL location over the years except the one you are at. That one is over an hour away from where I stay. I still might consider making the drive this summer just so I can say I have been to all of them. If I do, I hope I have the chance to say hi.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
stinkyskinky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 am
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby stinkyskinky » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

That dark Indo is ugly to you???? Oh my, I love him/her!!! Send him here!!!!!! ;) I'll gladly save you from having to look at that ugly face again. ha ha ha!

Becca
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Spindown » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I LOVE that dark Indo! Hes not ugly :(
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Dakota » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Can't wait to see the baby Axanthic available in the future!

Maybe the project will go great.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am

That dark Indo looked like BUTT when I first laid eyes on him, lol! He's looking much nicer now, I'm just not sure he'll fit into the group long term.

Jeff - Don't hesitate to ask! Initially I believe the goal was just to get them established and start producing a mess of T. gigas, but naturally that is not as easy as it sounds. Now that I've taken over I'm tentatively dividing them into groups; it'll be hard until I can start trying to sex them to decide what to keep and what not. We do not have any tanimbars to breed at the breeding center, although we did have one for sale a couple weeks ago. At the center we've got mostly Indos, with a few IJs and Meraukes. There's one female Northern that was recently added, but she's been rejecting my male the few times I've brought him to work so I'm not sure she'll go this year.

I've sectioned out the Indos into color groups - dark (like that "ugly" indo), grey, "classic", and green. I've further sectioned them into 'classic' type patterns, reduced, aberrant, or "meraukey". I will probably remove the meraukey Indos from the center once I'm happy with their condition, especially since in a month or so I've been told we're getting another group of cages and another shipment of skinks.

The meraukes and IJs I just want to get going, I don't have enough to really group them like the Indos, but their IDs include light, dark, or aberrant as well. Same with the meraukes, they're just "classic" or reduced.

I got about halfway through weighing everybody yesterday, so I'll post up more pics soon - I'm trying to get ID shots of everyone from above for their spreadsheets, lol. I'm super, SUPER excited to be working with a group this size and with pretty much free reign to do as I please regarding care. I was super happy to see that everyone gained anywhere from 50 to 100 grams each in the last two weeks, and with them all going through a shed cycle they are all starting to look like brand new skinks.

I'd like to note with some amusement that every single one of those Indo skinks you guys saw came in a shipment labelled "halmahara blue tongues", or not labeled at all. The meraukes and IJs came in as Indos. Dunno where they really came from, orrrr halmahara is just a heck of a crazy island...

-Jen
I used to be cool.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Top view pics of a few of them - I only got halfway through them yesterday and messed up in taking pics of the ID cards on a few, so these are the ones I can accurately match up to their ID#s, heh. But here, have a BAJILLION skink pics - every single one of these pictures is of a different skink. These all came in pretty beat up and scrawny, so I'm pretty happy to see them all gaining weight and shedding like they have been.

Might have to relabel them all anyway; this one when I went through and labeled was brown, so he was IBC2 (Indo, brown, classic pattern) - clearly not as dark brown as some of the others.
Actually, after uploading most of these pics, I think I really do need to go through and re-label them all. Sooooo I have a new project next week...
Image

This is IC2 - indo classic
Image

IC5 - indo classic
Image

IC6 - indo classic
Image

ICG1 - Indo classic grey, in shed - this one I suspect will shed out and not be grey anymore
Image

IDB1 - indo dark brown
Image

IGC2 - indo green classic
Image

IGM1 - indo grey meraukey - one of those that as it's shed, it's changing color - when I first looked at it, it definitely looked like a merauke cross. not so much anymore. relabeling definitely needed...
Image

IGR1 - indo green - one of my favorites, also the BIGGEST JERK, tries to bite me constantly
Image

IGR2 - indo green
Image

IJ4 - irian jaya
Image

IJ1 - irian jaya
Image

IJD1 - dark irian jaya
Image

IJ2 - irian jaya
Image

MW1 - merauke, to be honest I don't remember what the W designation was for. This skink is terrified of people, which is a shame 'cause it's gorgeous
Image

Alright I'm pictured out, I'll try getting shots of the rest of the group when I weigh them today

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Dakota » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 pm

So jealous!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm

last one is a stunner jen,they all look great,its great to see they are being established in captivity rather than just sold on on arrival

must be fun looking after them and exciting seeing whats in next delivery
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Spindown » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:29 pm

I love the yellow Indos...they dont look green to me though?

Also WOW WOW WOW to that last merauke!!!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 am

SapphireTigress wrote:I love the yellow Indos...they dont look green to me though?

Also WOW WOW WOW to that last merauke!!!


I agree, love that yellow/green indo :love: :lovestruck:
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 am

Gorgeous! It's really cool to see all of these and the variety that is coming now with recent imports. Thanks for taking the time to share these!
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby Sarikazam » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 am

I also have to chime in, that the last Merauke is absolutely stunning! One of the prettiest I have ever seen.
Also it would be interesting to see what those two grey guys look like after they shed. I kind of wish they would stay like that.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am

It's the flash, makes em less green looking. When you see them in the cage they're definitely quite green looking. Maybe they'll stay that way, maybe another shed and they'll be neon yellow, who knows. At this point when people ask me what colors everything is I just throw my hands up in the air and tell them their guess is as good as mine, everything's changed so much.

That merauke is my absolute favorite and she is HORRENDOUS. Super skittish, I have to keep her in a bottom cage so she can't see us looking at her or she won't eat. I tried a top cage, thinking feet walking by would be stressful too, but apparently a face suddenly appearing (since I have to climb a step ladder for the top cages) is worse than seeing feet walk by.

Thanks again guys!

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby AnnaMonroe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:44 pm

That Merauke at the end made my jaw drop ! WHAT A BEAUTY! :shock:
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Did you finish I.Ding the rest?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: More pics of the colony - feeding day!

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm

noooope. Hopefully this week instead. I'm supposed to be over there right now, actually.... ;)
I used to be cool.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 344 guests