Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Cenetri » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi everyone!

Not exactly sure if this is allowed in this forum or the off-topic, but I figured I'd give it a go and post here.

I wanted to tell you all about my most recent DIY project - I'm converting our big, beautiful armoire into two big, beautiful enclosures! I'm planning on installing a horizontal panel at the halfway point, splitting the armoire into two "tiers". I couldn't remember the exact measurements and the measuring tape is no where to be found, so I got rough estimates using a weird ruler with inexact numbers! If I recall, it's about 42x22x42, so each lizard (Phineas, the BTS and Kenzo, the uromastyx) would get 42x22x21. Pretty nice improvement from their 55 gallon homes!

Here are some photos of said armoire. The main doors have been removed and are being cut, because they have the same "shutter" pattern as the bottom storage doors. I'm going to replace both entire sections with plexiglass and I was thinking that the open back panel will be lined with a sturdy mesh of some sort so that neither lizard can injure himself, but it still allows for ventilation. Would that be alright, or would you recommend putting wood in the back to cover up the opening and only putting mesh on those mid-sized holes for ventilation? I was just contemplating that because injury and too much ventilation could be an issue with that much opening (though I suppose that much opening isn't much different that a glass tank's screen lid...)

Image

Also, these hinges were going to hold the doors in place. They're actually pretty strong, so neither lizard would be able to push the doors open. I was going to line a strip of wood along the entire back of these hinges to make sure that substrate doesn't fall out when I open the doors and so none gets stuck in them. Does this sound like it would work?

Image

Thank you! I look forward to your feedback and possible advice!
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Interesting project - please keep updating with pics! :D

It is fine in this section as it pertains to bluey housing.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

Mesh is usually a bad choice for blueys. Instead, maybe replace the back with nice-looking pegboard?
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Cenetri » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:05 am

That's what I was wondering about. I'll look into that - how well do pegboards breathe? I'm hoping to not cut any new holes into this, but whatever is the safest is what I'll go with.
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Spindown » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:21 pm

I love the pegboard idea. I cant wait to see it finished! I'm working on my hedgie cage tomorrow...I had no idea before that building things was so much fun! Keep us updated!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Latest DIY Project for Phin - Enclosure Upgrade!

Postby Cenetri » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 am

I've gotten my main supplies and I'm getting close to the major construction time. My mom actually proposed an interesting idea for the back of the entire enclosure - what about the very thin strands of bamboo that are strung together? It would provide a background, and with the tiny openinings between each bamboo piece, it would easily provide ventilation. Has anyone worked with bamboo before in their enclosures?

Also, birch is safe, right? My father purchased a birch shelf that we're planning on painting and sealing so the two enclosures are separated. Thanks for all of the positive feedback!
1.0 Northern Phineas

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests