Page 1 of 1

Painting and Sealing

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 pm
by saisaac
I am planning on building a large double stacked setup that would have two 18" deep x 3' wide x 6' long enclosures. My question is on regards to painting and sealing the unit. What paints are safe and what are not? Also does drylocking/sealing the wood negate the fact that pine is considered toxic?

I am hoping to frame the structure with 2x4s and then have it be a double walled exterior with a layer of insulation between the layers of plywood.

Thank you.

Re: Painting and Sealing

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 pm
by donkeybuff
Even though you are sealing the wood, I would not recommend pine, just to be on the safe side. I used drylok to seal my wood enclosure, and most tegu owners use it as well. It it latex-based and dries with no smell so it is safe for your bluey.

Re: Painting and Sealing

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:27 pm
by Dakota
donkeybuff wrote:Even though you are sealing the wood, I would not recommend pine, just to be on the safe side. I used drylok to seal my wood enclosure, and most tegu owners use it as well. It it latex-based and dries with no smell so it is safe for your bluey.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ ... =0CIsBEMwD

Do you have experience with this? Is this toxic?

Re: Painting and Sealing

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:15 pm
by donkeybuff
I have no experience with that. The website says that it has strong vapors, and it is not recommended for coming into contact with drinking water. I would not use it, because the skink will be breathing those vapors and will inevitably lick the sides of the cage.
Edit:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 0QnBUoATAA

That is the product I used to seal my cage. It has very low vapors even when wet and has worked very well so far.

Re: Painting and Sealing

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:24 pm
by Katrina
You can buy an indoor varathane that is low VOC that works very well for sealing enclosures. Use something low VOC and meant for indoor use.