Hi everybody!
I just realized that it's been a while since I last gave an update on Phineas and wanted to inform you all of his progress. I just weighed him earlier today, and with an empty stomach he now weighs 382 grams at about 7 months old. Lengthwise, he's right at 16 inches. I wanted to get your opinions on his growth and if he's on the small side, average, or big for his age. For those of you wondering how I'm certain he's a boy, there have been a few incidents of sperm plugs and I've also seen both hemipenes.
His main diet consists of about 60% protein and 40% plant matter at the moment and I feed him every other day, on occasion every third day. Protein is primarily organic high-quality canned dog food usually mixed with something else such as organic canned cat food, thick baby food, snails, or worms, and vegetables consist of bok choy, mustard and collard greens with fresh snap peas and carrots. Also, every once in a while, I give him some fruits such as strawberries or blueberries.
Right now he's housed in a 55 gallon terrarium that is wider and longer than it is tall (not the aquariums you tend to see in chain petstores, as I got this from a reptile shop). He's going to get an upgrade soon as well, because I have a huge armoire that I'm converting into a two-tier system for my two lizards. I use cypress mulch as his bedding and this has been working out perfectly for him, as it holds in some humidity well and keeps his sheds short and clean.
If any of you have suggestions, please let me know! I'm just looking for some feedback. Thank you!
I'll take some pictures in a little while. My main camera is malfunctioning and I have to figure that out! For now, it's just a bit of information. Sorry!
Growth and General Update on Phineas
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Cenetri
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 107
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Northern California
Growth and General Update on Phineas
1.0 Northern Phineas
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Growth and General Update on Phineas
Great to see an update on Phineas! Havent heard about him for a while
Sounds like a good size from the measurements, but pics are always better 
Grats also on being able to determine for sure what gender he is. Even if not breeding its fun to find out.
Grats also on being able to determine for sure what gender he is. Even if not breeding its fun to find out.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Cenetri
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 107
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Northern California
Re: Growth and General Update on Phineas
Got the camera working this morning, and so I got a couple of photos of Phin! Of course, the day I want to take photos, he starts to dull out to shed. Typical Phin.

Definitely a little explorer! (Don't worry, my hand was right there to catch him if he wanted to do a little dive)

His pattern is turning a bit on the pink/red side along with his orange~

Even if he can be a bit of a stink sometimes, I do love him lots. <3

I know that I always tend to take photos of him in my bathroom (mainly because of good lighting and the tile photos for growth references), but I'll take him on an outside expedition in a little while and snap some pictures of his adventures!

Definitely a little explorer! (Don't worry, my hand was right there to catch him if he wanted to do a little dive)

His pattern is turning a bit on the pink/red side along with his orange~

Even if he can be a bit of a stink sometimes, I do love him lots. <3

I know that I always tend to take photos of him in my bathroom (mainly because of good lighting and the tile photos for growth references), but I'll take him on an outside expedition in a little while and snap some pictures of his adventures!
1.0 Northern Phineas
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Growth and General Update on Phineas
Aw hes so cute! Looking good, perhaps a bit chubby? LOL my guys always dull out for camera time too 
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Cenetri
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 107
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Northern California
Re: Growth and General Update on Phineas
Hahaha, he's definitely a bit of a chunker. I've even lessened how much I feed and how often, and he still manages to gain weight! His size has been fairly consistent though, not like he's growing any fatter size-wise from when I first got him. Let's just say he's a bit... "big-boned". 
1.0 Northern Phineas
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Growth and General Update on Phineas
ROFL its ok, most of it will go to length as he continues to grow. Its only when hes an adult or starting to get obese that you need to worry. 
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 275 guests
