Page 1 of 1
Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm
by Dakota
I am going to one in about a week or so, and I plan to pick up a Bluey.. I heard reptiles are whole-saled.. so maybe two? haha
I am building a cage that is going 5 ft long and 4 feet wide, I am going to put a divider in it, so for each skink 5 ft x 2 ft.. so I will have two extra cages..
but anyways, are they usually at the shows? I looked at all the people going to be there, and ONE carries them from time to time.. so let's hope..
It will be in Nashville, TN..btw.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm
by Bird_Brain
I wouldn't say that the animals sell at wholesale prices at expos. Yes they are better than retail prices but the same as breeder prices.
As far as availability, you will likely see some while caughts or adults. But bts are a hit or miss reptile at all the shows I've been to
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm
by Dakota
I'm bringing $160, and that is ALL I am spedning it on (animal wise)
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm
by Jeff
It varies from show to show. I went to a Repticon in Phoenix last weekend and didn't see a single bluey. I have been to other shows where there are 4-5 people selling them. It is extremely rare to find a breeder at a show though. It is almost always someone who specializes in something else that took a BTS or two in on trade, or an importer that has some wild caught skinks.
I would say $100-$130 is the average price I have seen at shows. I have purchased at shows before a few times, but only from an actual breeder, and the unique skinks he sells go for $200, which was a steal in my opinion. You can get some common stuff at shows for great prices, for example ball pythons and leopard geckos, but for less common stuff like blueys, I would still recommend going with a reputable breeder.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
That is enough for one, if you get lucky. There is always the possibility that they will cost two hundred dollars. If I wanted to buy two quality animals I would bring at least four hundred and fifty dollars.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 pm
by Dakota
That's what I plan to do, if there aren't any heathly looking ones there.
If there aren't any, I plan to buy from one of you guys. Are you the breeder from btskinks.com?
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 pm
by Dakota
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:That is enough for one, if you get lucky. There is always the possibility that they will cost two hundred dollars. If I wanted to buy two quality animals I would bring at least four hundred and fifty dollars.
I was just going by what people were telling me.. I have no idea how much the skinks are at shows, for I have never been to one.. I guess I will just buying one, haha

Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
dakotanivens wrote:That's what I plan to do, if there aren't any heathly looking ones there.
If there aren't any, I plan to buy from one of you guys. Are you the breeder from btskinks.com?
That's Jeff.

Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:52 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
dakotanivens wrote:xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:That is enough for one, if you get lucky. There is always the possibility that they will cost two hundred dollars. If I wanted to buy two quality animals I would bring at least four hundred and fifty dollars.
I was just going by what people were telling me.. I have no idea how much the skinks are at shows, for I have never been to one.. I guess I will just buying one, haha

If I were in your shoes I would either wait until late May-June, because that is when breeders usually have their babies, or wait until fall because that is when baby from the
Gigas Complex are imported.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 pm
by Dakota
Mine were bred by a breeder, and were born October 29th.. o-o
By breeder, he isn't a huge breeder, he has a pair at his shop that he breeds from time to time.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Do you have pictures of the parents?
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm
by Spindown
We have ONE semi-local breeder in the west coast. One only at least that comes to shows. Every other vendor scoops up his babies for their tables and jack up the price. His blueys are fantastic. I would never buy an imported bluey again now that I know what to look for. Not to mention, anyone else who has blueys at our local shows have WC ones that look absolutely wretched

Also, if we have bubs, we will be the first people to have Northerns that I have seen at a show since the 3 years I have been going to local shows (WA & OR)
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am
by Dakota
My local pet-stores say they will never supply BTS, as they are not popular.. hmm.. If at a right price, and seems healthy, and full bred.. I buy them all :p
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 pm
by Bird_Brain
Pet store prices are typically $200+ for a WC import. Stick with a breeder, IMO.
Re: Are BTS usually at Repticon Expos?
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 pm
by Spindown
oh, and usually the skinks are $200-$250 at the shows when they are there.
Pet stores rarely get them in because they sit on the shelves for months, sometimes YEARS because the huffing sounds like aggressive behavior to many people, and the fact that they hide a lot and are almost never socialized (so gape and can lunge) at the store make them frighting to others. Very very sad. I have personally seen some blueys at the local pet stores (when I absolutely must go in, which is very rare) sit there for months, because my trips there are so rare and the poor things are STILL there when i go back. So terribly sad.