Hi all,
I recently picked up a really nice tank for my BTS that was used for someone else's bearded dragon. I've painted the outside orange with chalk paint and am going to paint the inside brown. It is made of plywood with a glass front. I've cleaned it up, disinfected it, but now I'm struggling to get some adhesive off the inside so that I can paint and seal the inside of the tank. It had some random strips of packing tape and when I removed them, the stickiness remains. Any ideas on what I can use that won't leave any harmful fumes/chemicals?
Thanks!
removing tape adhesive from plywood tank
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- crittermom
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 35
- Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:15 am
- Country:
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: removing tape adhesive from plywood tank
There is a solvent in aus sold as prep sol that should take it off easily. It will volatilise but the enclosure will need a good airing fora few days. It would be a good idea to seal the inside if not already with a clear acrylic sealer.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: removing tape adhesive from plywood tank
Can't you just sand it off with sandpaper?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- crittermom
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 35
- Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:15 am
- Country:
Re: removing tape adhesive from plywood tank
Thanks for the responses. I tried sanding it off, and because it is so sticky and gooey, it just smeared around rather than actually sand off. I actually ended up using peanut butter and a razor blade to get it off. It worked amazingly well, though it did take some work. I just want to be able to paint over it so that the paint sticks and then I'll apply a sealant. Thanks again for your help!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 169 guests
