Taking her out?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lsck
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
Country:
Location: United States

Taking her out?

Postby Lsck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 am

Even after over two months, by BTS still gets upset when I reach my hand towards her.
I was wondering, should I take her out more? I take her out maybe once a week.
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Taking her out?

Postby UroFreak13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 am

You can start by just putting you hand in the cage, then start "petting" her this will aclimatize her to you presence them you can try picking him up
Lsck
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
Country:
Location: United States

Re: Taking her out?

Postby Lsck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:08 am

UroFreak13 wrote:You can start by just putting you hand in the cage, then start "petting" her this will aclimatize her to you presence them you can try picking him up

I do that, she just doesn't tolerate it.
stinkyskinky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 am
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Taking her out?

Postby stinkyskinky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 am

What does she do
Lsck
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
Country:
Location: United States

Re: Taking her out?

Postby Lsck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 am

stinkyskinky wrote:What does she do?

She huffs and puffs.
stinkyskinky
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 am
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Taking her out?

Postby stinkyskinky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 am

I'm a new owner, so if someone more experienced says otherwise, go Ethan their advice. But, seems normal in my experience and from what I've read. We get our guy out daily. He huffs every time. But stops once he is out and held securely. From what ive read here, hugging is juat their way of saying, here I am, be careful with me. It's not aggression.
Is just pick her up quickly and confidently. It's so true that they pick up on your nerves and whether or not you seem confident in what you are doing.
Becca
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Taking her out?

Postby BruinsEv » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 am

stinkyskinky wrote:I'm a new owner, so if someone more experienced says otherwise, go Ethan their advice. But, seems normal in my experience and from what I've read. We get our guy out daily. He huffs every time. But stops once he is out and held securely. From what ive read here, hugging is juat their way of saying, here I am, be careful with me. It's not aggression.
Is just pick her up quickly and confidently. It's so true that they pick up on your nerves and whether or not you seem confident in what you are doing.
Becca



This is pretty much exactly my experience as well. We try and get her out every day for at least 15 minutes, and I'd say 85-90% of the time, we are greeted with huffing as soon as we go near her terrarium. I put my hand in slow and stroke her back a couple times to let her know I am not dangerous, then grab her by the back and support her with the other hand.
I used to get so bummed out thinking she hates me and wants my fingers for a snack, but I truly believe she is just letting it be known that "she is here".
Be patient and calm with him, don't move your hands too fast in front of him before you pick him up. I am confident as soon as you get him out of the terrarium, he will be a TOTALLY different skink.
User avatar
Zalder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 pm
Country:
Location: New York, The United States of America

Re: Taking her out?

Postby Zalder » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:26 am

I'm new too, but my little Jorge didn't like people at all first, now he's so much better and loves to hang out with and on me (he rides my shoulders like a parrot would a pirate :P). What really helped with him was handfeeding his favorite snacks, bananas, and stroking the side of his neck. It's like a massage to him. When ever he gets a little "huffy" I stroke the side of his neck and he calms down within seconds and wont try to run away. Maybe all blueys love the side of the neck rub, lick dogs and belly rubs, or it's just Jorge's sweet spot. Just keep working with your bluey and I'm sure they'll grow to like being handled. :D
"for there is nothing/either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Hamlet, in Hamlet by Shakespeare
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Taking her out?

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Lsck wrote:Even after over two months, by BTS still gets upset when I reach my hand towards her.
I was wondering, should I take her out more? I take her out maybe once a week.


There is no need to take them out at all other than to clean etc. The more often you do, the more accustomed they will be to it. Blueys will have different levels of tolerance towards being handled and some will always be a bit skittish when a hand reaches in. But just because your bluey is skittish isn't necessarily a bad thing - it just depends on what you want.

If you want a more easy going bluey that isn't skittish when handled, then handle more. If you don't mind this then there is no reason to handle it more - people handle their blueys and take them out for their enjoyment not for the blueys well being. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 187 guests