Page 1 of 1
Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm
by Frango
Evening all,
I will get straight to the point, my merauke Frankie has a lump in his throat (pictures included), now he has had this for a couple of weeks in my estimation however this could be more with me only recently noticing. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 pm
by Bluish
TAKE HIM TO THE VET RIGHT NOW!!!
Just kidding.
Meraukes store fat around their throat. It,s just a sign that he's bern eaying well
Could you show us a full body pic? He's a handsome skink.
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 pm
by Linnea
shouldve been there for more than just a few weeks.
maybe make the feedings a bit more balanced?
the lump is how meraukes store fat, and is a healthy sign, but too much weight isnt healthy. he looks good, but definitely on the round side.
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm
by Zalder
It's like the crop of a bird. I believe that's an appropriate analogy.
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm
by Bird_Brain
Zalder wrote:It's like the crop of a bird. I believe that's an appropriate analogy.
I would say more like a fat persons gut, it's just excess fat.
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm
by Frango
Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys.
It probably has been there for a while and i've just not noticed it. I feed him a balanced diet I think but always looking for advice.

. I give him his veggies but often have to mix it in with dog food as he is fussy like that. I also give him fruit as a treat and eggs. The eggs i now cook before giving him as raw egg gave him very runny poop.
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:55 pm
by Bluish
Yeah, he must have had it for awhile. My males are a lot leaner than your guy and they have obvious "throat-bellies".
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:56 am
by Frango
I might just keep his portions controlled for a while then. Do these pictures give you any idea of Frankie gender?
Re: Lump in Frankies Throat?
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm
by Katrina
Can you post birds-eye pics? Frankie looks pretty big - how often are you feeding?
Meraukes and other gigas BTS will store fat in the jowl area - Scincoides will generally store fat more in their tails. So it's totally normal.
