I like baths
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Bumblebat
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Rochester, NY
I like baths
How often can I safely bathe my skink? I really enjoy watching her paddle around and she doesn't seem to mind it. I like to soak her to encourage her to "go" before I handle her (I don't mind a stinky skink, though" but I want to make sure I'm not doing it too often, either.
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: I like baths
I dont think baths are bad i gave mine one every day for about a week because he had trouble shedding but it came off when i added a little olive oil. Just make sure that the water isnt too hot tho
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: I like baths
i dont think it is a good idea to bathe the skink when you do not really need to. but thats my personal opinion and not really accurate information.
they shouldnt smell and need baths because of that. after all, they do not sweat.
the hygiene issue with letting a skink go in the water and then picking it up to handle is more of an.........unusual choice. its much better to take the skink out after its been moving around and just pooped if so. cause if it lands in the water, the bacterias you dont want to get on your hands are all over the skink in milliseconds XD
besides. a skink always lifts its tail before pooping. once you know the sign you have a few seconds to put a newspaper under. voila. even super slow me have learned the routine n__n
as uro said, if your skink has had a very bad shed or something is very stuck on toes and tailtip, a soak may be needed. also if they managed to get poop smeared on them all over x.x
my skink bathed last time 2 days ago, its been very very dry, humidity dropped when the temps went to -10 for a week, so his belly scales needed some attention. but that was his first soak since august i think. apart from when he turns his water bowl upside down over himself.
some members do give soaks with every shed to help the process.
but no, soaks arent harmful i think. just....maybe not for forcing them to poop?
they shouldnt smell and need baths because of that. after all, they do not sweat.
the hygiene issue with letting a skink go in the water and then picking it up to handle is more of an.........unusual choice. its much better to take the skink out after its been moving around and just pooped if so. cause if it lands in the water, the bacterias you dont want to get on your hands are all over the skink in milliseconds XD
besides. a skink always lifts its tail before pooping. once you know the sign you have a few seconds to put a newspaper under. voila. even super slow me have learned the routine n__n
as uro said, if your skink has had a very bad shed or something is very stuck on toes and tailtip, a soak may be needed. also if they managed to get poop smeared on them all over x.x
my skink bathed last time 2 days ago, its been very very dry, humidity dropped when the temps went to -10 for a week, so his belly scales needed some attention. but that was his first soak since august i think. apart from when he turns his water bowl upside down over himself.
some members do give soaks with every shed to help the process.
but no, soaks arent harmful i think. just....maybe not for forcing them to poop?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Bumblebat
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Rochester, NY
Re: I like baths
Oh, I don't care about poop or germs or anything. I work at a pet store. She just looks content when she's in the water and its just a convenient bonus that she poops so it's out of the way.
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: I like baths
I rarely bathe mine, as I feel she just doesn't enjoy it! Maybe I should start bathing a little more often.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: I like baths
i only bathe mine if i feel they have trouble pooping or a bad shed.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 174 guests
