About ''new form Merauke''
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Pascal Paradis
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: Quebec
About ''new form Merauke''
What is that? Is it some kind of cross praticed by breeders or does it originate from the wild like the classic merauke... and how are they different? And why are all BTS of evanescens subspecie named ''merauke'' while they are not specific to that location? Their distribution range cover all the south of papua new guinea and extend a little beyond the southeastern limit of Irian jaya, near the Merauke city. I would be grateful to the person who clear all that confusion.
Btw I am a new to this forum. I got 2 BTS a month ago. A big brown really docile and one less friendly with impressive color: a bisque colored back and pinkish side, clear stripe and a white face. They are like my babies <3
Btw I am a new to this forum. I got 2 BTS a month ago. A big brown really docile and one less friendly with impressive color: a bisque colored back and pinkish side, clear stripe and a white face. They are like my babies <3
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
There are all ready topics on this topic 
Welcome!
Welcome!
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
-
ssr
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 964
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Iowa
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
Look in the Advanced Discussion Forum. There is a thread labeled "Skinks from Indonesia" that you may find helpful.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
I just want to say, I didn't start this 
-
Bluish
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 370
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
Yeah, but you know you wanted to!
Just kidding ML.:-)
Just kidding ML.:-)
Dom
2.6 Meraukes
2.6 Meraukes
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
I THINK T.g.evanescens were given the common name "merauke" because the first specimens were found around Merauke. If nothing else, we should learn that giving common names based on geographical locations is not a good idea unless we know that the animal in question is limited to that location only.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
To put it very simply, there was at one point a very simple, definited Merauke BTS. They were commonly imported, and they all looked about the same.
Suddenly, there were new skinks being imported. They mostly match what we define as a Merauke, but they just look different. They're more colourful and the bands are thicker. But they still have speckly legs and one stripe on the back of the neck. Because no one knows why they look different (different locality?) we simply called them new-form Meraukes.
Suddenly, there were new skinks being imported. They mostly match what we define as a Merauke, but they just look different. They're more colourful and the bands are thicker. But they still have speckly legs and one stripe on the back of the neck. Because no one knows why they look different (different locality?) we simply called them new-form Meraukes.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
I think it's funny to call an animal "new" when the "old" form was only described in 2000. Up until then, keyensis was the only sub species of gigas. All the rest were T.g.gigas, and refered to as "New Guinea" bluetongue skinks. From what I can tell, I think most academics still refer to T.g.gigas as "northern New Guinea" bts, and T.g.evanescens as "southern New Guinea" bts. I'm not sure those common names are much better than "indo" or "Merauke", but they are at least slightly more acurate geographically.
I personally wish we could throw out the term "new merauke". They are not newer, they are simply a form that wasn't imported as frequently until later than the others. If we need terms to describe different looking animals of the same sub species I think the label should be descriptive. For instance, "wide banded merauke", or "colorful merauke". That way it would be more clear that we are not talking about a different sub species, but simply describing how this individual merauke looks. I think it would eliminate the confusion caused over and over by the term "new merauke".
I personally wish we could throw out the term "new merauke". They are not newer, they are simply a form that wasn't imported as frequently until later than the others. If we need terms to describe different looking animals of the same sub species I think the label should be descriptive. For instance, "wide banded merauke", or "colorful merauke". That way it would be more clear that we are not talking about a different sub species, but simply describing how this individual merauke looks. I think it would eliminate the confusion caused over and over by the term "new merauke".
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
Sounds like when kimberley northerns came on the scene,still a northern but oh so different to your typical classic northerns
- Pascal Paradis
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: Quebec
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
Thank you everybody. I didn't expect such thorough answer and I am surprise of the interest it was given.I will have to show you my 2 merauke someday. Did one of you ever see a brown gray merauke? It is uncommon? I know it could only be an intergrade.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
There are brown gray ones,so possably pure meurake
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
My Merauke is sometimes brown and gray...
It's not Classic though.
It's not Classic though.
- Pascal Paradis
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: Quebec
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
Thats a good new. Knowing that I can now pair him with my other blue tongue whose is definitely a full merauke. I was reticent to breed them as I didn't want to cross subspecie. I am aware the environmental factors triggering gigas species mating behaviours are nebulous but I am confident I will figure this out.
- Pascal Paradis
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: Quebec
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:My Merauke is sometimes brown and gray...
It's not Classic though.
Can you post a pic of your merauke Lizardmonitor?
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: About ''new form Merauke''
There is a picture of him as my avatar. I can get some full body pictures up later.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 172 guests
