Page 1 of 1

Coconut Oil

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:55 pm
by Bumblebat
Does anyone happen to know offhand if coconut oil is harmful to Blue Tongues? I use it regularly as a moisturizer and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't toxic or an irritant. I wouldn't think so, but I want to be positive.

Re: Coconut Oil

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm
by Jeff
I have no idea of whether or not it is harmful, but would guess it is not. The thing is though, if your husbandry is good, you should not need any kind of "moisturizer". Skinks are not moisturized in the wild. I would opt to adjust husbandry before moisturizing any of my skinks.

Re: Coconut Oil

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm
by Bumblebat
Jeff wrote:I have no idea of whether or not it is harmful, but would guess it is not. The thing is though, if your husbandry is good, you should not need any kind of "moisturizer". Skinks are not moisturized in the wild. I would opt to adjust husbandry before moisturizing any of my skinks.

I'm sorry, I should have worded that differently. I use coconut oil for my skin, not my skink's. :)
Thank you for responding.

Re: Coconut Oil

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
by Spindown
that sounds like it would smell delicious! I wonder if skinks like coconut...I'd be afraid they would try and eat me :D