Coconut Oil
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Bumblebat
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Rochester, NY
Coconut Oil
Does anyone happen to know offhand if coconut oil is harmful to Blue Tongues? I use it regularly as a moisturizer and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't toxic or an irritant. I wouldn't think so, but I want to be positive.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Coconut Oil
I have no idea of whether or not it is harmful, but would guess it is not. The thing is though, if your husbandry is good, you should not need any kind of "moisturizer". Skinks are not moisturized in the wild. I would opt to adjust husbandry before moisturizing any of my skinks.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Bumblebat
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Rochester, NY
Re: Coconut Oil
Jeff wrote:I have no idea of whether or not it is harmful, but would guess it is not. The thing is though, if your husbandry is good, you should not need any kind of "moisturizer". Skinks are not moisturized in the wild. I would opt to adjust husbandry before moisturizing any of my skinks.
I'm sorry, I should have worded that differently. I use coconut oil for my skin, not my skink's.
Thank you for responding.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Coconut Oil
that sounds like it would smell delicious! I wonder if skinks like coconut...I'd be afraid they would try and eat me 
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 167 guests
