Page 1 of 1
Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:43 pm
by jayeszoo
Hi a friend of mine told me about a BTS for sale in our city. I have Indigo the Merauke, which is really a sweet girl. I would love to have a Northern. But the picture that was listed looked like she was tan and brown. I couldn't resist the temptation and called. The lady said she is a beautiful bluish green. I know I'm new to the BTS, but is there any that color? I haven't seen them on here. I also ask her where the skink came from and it's from not such a good pet store. She thought maybe Merauke was what the guy told her. She wasn't sure, but did say she was told the skink was pregnant. It was bought for her grand daughter for Christmas and the grand daughter is scared of it. So she's up for sale.
So bascially I'm asking if there is one that color. She was at school and when she gets home she'll call me back and thought she might get some more pictures to show me.
Jaye
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 am
by Linnea
Sounds shady.
its likely a wild captured Tiliqua gigas species. its the most common to think about in such circumstances (pregnant, wild caught, pet store).
no, bluish green doesnt sound likely. unless they refer to the tongue. theres supposed to be a green tanimbar island skink, but it is more than rare.
i would advice not to buy the skink if you do not get pictures beforehand. if you get photos, posting them here might help clear things up a little for you.
i for one am very curious to see what could be refered to as a bluish green bluey....
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 am
by jayeszoo
Thanks for the reply. No I didn't get pictures last nite. It was later than she thought when she got home from school conferences and had the grandkids to get ready for bed. Evidently the daughter and 3 kids live with her. She ask if I could call today.
I went over the descriptions of the different species again and tried to compare any to the picture on craigslist. It is a dark picture, hard to see. But I will ask to see pictures and might stop. If anyone is interested in just looking at her, it's South Bend Indiana under pets and posted on 1/31, but like I said it's dark.
I'm not sure if she wanted to call the pet store today to get more info on the questions I ask or to just delay me. I did tell her it was most likely wild caught if indid it was a Merauke. Only knowing that info from this wonderful site. And she acted very surprised. As I was when I got Indigo :-)
I'll post if I get pictures or what else I find out.
Thanks again
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:20 pm
by Spindown
I have to wonder if thats even a bluey, or even a skink if it really is green or blue-ish...its amazing what people claim they have and have NO clue what they actually have!
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm
by jayeszoo
Hi Well I called today like she ask me too. Her daughter answered and said the skink was sold. I was stunned and said - She was sold this morning? She said yep she's sold. Well I find that strange, my son lives in another city and is going to call them tomorrow and see what they tell him. I almost thought last nite that she was a little uncomfortable with my questions. Wasn't anything bad - I just wanted to know information about her.
I tried to copy and paste the picture for you to see. It is a skink. I just wonder about the color. It doesn't look bluish green at all. But it was dark. She seemed to have the stripes and then spots right behind her front legs, I don't mean on her legs. But then maybe it wasn't the skink at all that she has. Who knows. I just hope if she is gravid, she got a good home :-) actually that didn't sound right, either way she needs a good home.
I'll let you know if I find out anything else.
jaye
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm
by jayeszoo
skink1.jpg
Well we will see if this comes thru - if not forgive me. This is what they had advertised. She said the picture didn't show her colors. She looks chocolate to me
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 pm
by donkeybuff
That really doesn't look like anything special, just a normal gigas (merauke?) . Looks like she (i think its a girl) is in shed, so maybe that's where the "bluish" came from.
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm
by Katrina
Wow - obese! Maybe that's supposed to take your mind off the fact that it isn't blue.
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 am
by Linnea
yes, i agree with Katrina. that skink is not very healthy looking weight wise. bigger than my northern Pomme.
wouldnt a pregnant meruake have less of an extra chin? that chin is massive. the tail too.
i wouldnt know, since i have never have seen a pregnant skink before.
its sad it got sold if you really wanted it though
are you on the lookout for more?
Re: Blue or Green Skink?
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:53 am
by jayeszoo
Thanks again !!
I really wasn't "looking" for another one YET. Just ran across it. Posting some photo equipment on craigslist and went over to the pets. I have a hard time not taking in something (parrots, reptiles, dogs) that need a rehab. That's how I got Indigo, due to the horrible mouth rot and eye infection - and I just love her. I also have the bearded dragon and the sudanese uro. I think being pregnant really made her tempting. Knowing she needs special care and then the babies. You don't see alot of skinks in this area and I fear she won't get the care. See I could go on and on. Now I will worry. Bad bad pet store. He's not one you can approach either, knows all. Even mixes some reptiles together in the store. Has reptiles and tortoises together. Dirty dirty
I would love a Northern. I'm just not sure if I want to go with a baby - only because I'm not young either. Can probably retire in about 10 years. Although I feel it would be such an experience to raise one as I did Munchkin the dragon. So I will wait and see. I watch the classified here for ones that need to be rehomed, missed one nice Northern. But always feel that if it happens, it's meant to be.
We'll see what happens, what she tells my son. I just feel she needs a second chance, if possible.
jaye