sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
sexing no-no, or is it ok?
ok, so at our reptile club down here, the leader has mentioned how one of the next meeting he is going to share with the group how to sex blue tongues with gentle pressure and popping out the hemepines. now i always thought this was a bit dangerous for blueys and is just a technique that should be used on snakes. is this an ok way to sex blueys if you know what you are doing?
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
With blotchies I would suggest that if you know what you are doing then there is no need to.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Im worried that the leader is going to explain that this can be done to sex blotchies and then people are going to go home and try it whether they have been told to or not. lets face it, some people are naive and silly enough to just do those things regardless of what the consequences on the animal could be. I always though it could harm them?
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Probing can harm them, I think it is probing that you're thinking of. Popping can work if they know what they are doing but it isn't an easy, DIY method.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
I dont think its always reliable,if a male doesnt pop its easily presumed a female,and it is a risky way to sex them,generally its not needed with blotchies,most are quite easy to sex visually,and if not there behaviours give away the answer usually anyways,well in older specimens
Popping can work,but yeah,ive never done it,i just guess and see if behaviour tells me if im right or wrong on any im sitting on the fence with,usually works fine,lol
I say usually because i have one ,a presumed female that keeps me guessing
Probing and popping are both not 100 percent and both quite risky,easy to harm the skink,even people whom know what they are doing have hurt skinks trying
Not worth the risks,much easier ways to sex them with out hurting them
Popping can work,but yeah,ive never done it,i just guess and see if behaviour tells me if im right or wrong on any im sitting on the fence with,usually works fine,lol
I say usually because i have one ,a presumed female that keeps me guessing
Probing and popping are both not 100 percent and both quite risky,easy to harm the skink,even people whom know what they are doing have hurt skinks trying
Not worth the risks,much easier ways to sex them with out hurting them
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
my main concern is that he is going to be discussing it with the entire group, which includes teens and kids. i think its not worth discussing in case someone thinks they can do it at home and harms their skink just trying
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Why don't you discuss the concerns with your leader and make sure he stresses that this can't be done safely by everyone? I'm not sure what else to advice, other than discuss it with them beforehand. Express your concerns calmly and ask if he really feels it is safe to show everyone in the group...
It can be done but it isn't easy and it is much less invasive and safer to visually sex. However, I doubt your leader wants to be told what to do based on something you read online... so tread carefully!
It can be done but it isn't easy and it is much less invasive and safer to visually sex. However, I doubt your leader wants to be told what to do based on something you read online... so tread carefully!
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
i did speak to him, i just mentioned how i personally think its unsafe and not necessary and that i also spoke to people/breeders that deal with the animals a lot more than we do and they think it isn't necessary and could potentially be unsafe also. ill leave it in his hands now. Not much more i can do
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
The vet that I quit going to popped my male northern by accident while trying to get a fecal sample, and his hemipenes were irritated and swollen for about a week afterwards...I wouldnt recommend it.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
SapphireTigress wrote:The vet that I quit going to popped my male northern by accident while trying to get a fecal sample, and his hemipenes were irritated and swollen for about a week afterwards...I wouldnt recommend it.
poor little thing. worst thing is, some people here want so desperately to know if they have male or females blueys and they dont even breed, so why would they even risk it... doesnt make sense to me
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
If one isnt breeding, I cant understand why it matters!? I was told Pumpkin the corn was a male, but I really dont care if its true or not, since I will never breed him. Same with my bp! I mean, I'm one of those people that likes to know as much as possible about my pets, but if it would put them in unnecessary risk, I wouldnt do it. I dont care enough about it to put them in harms way. Just my opinion though.
ETA: It would be different for me if they external genitalia...as I prefer female mammals that dont have boy bits to drag around X_X
ETA: It would be different for me if they external genitalia...as I prefer female mammals that dont have boy bits to drag around X_X
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
SapphireTigress wrote:If one isnt breeding, I cant understand why it matters!? I was told Pumpkin the corn was a male, but I really dont care if its true or not, since I will never breed him. Same with my bp! I mean, I'm one of those people that likes to know as much as possible about my pets, but if it would put them in unnecessary risk, I wouldnt do it. I dont care enough about it to put them in harms way. Just my opinion though.
ETA: It would be different for me if they external genitalia...as I prefer female mammals that dont have boy bits to drag around X_X
EXACTLY! i completely agree.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Theres nothing wrong with someone experienced showing/demonstrating how to do it,its called education,better to watch in person than to read from a book
Hes not saying its nessacary,just demonstrating a way to sex them,which can apply to other reptile species to
Not forcing folk to use the method,just showing how they do it
Hes not saying its nessacary,just demonstrating a way to sex them,which can apply to other reptile species to
Not forcing folk to use the method,just showing how they do it
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
I'm not trying to say that one shouldnt learn from an experienced person, at all! That is the best way to learn.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
the only reason this guy was going to show it in the meeting was because people were asking on their site how to tell if their own skink was male or female. not just generally interested in ways you can tell, people wanted to know what their own skink was. They were asking how THEY themselves could identify if their skink was male or female. i think it is obvious they wanted ways they can check in their own home. (inexperienced people that is)
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
oh man! I know about popping snakes, and I've seen videos of popping, but I sure as heck wouldnt try it myself without being a) shown how in person, and b) having someone watch me while I try it a few times. I cant imagine trying something like this on a skink!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
yeah same. why show people this as a thing they can do in their own home when they arent even interested in breeding
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
Could be hes being pestered by folk asking how to pop hemipenes so he thinks it best to show in person,rather than reply online,this chap isnt the president of the tassie herp society is he?
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
I'm not a hundred percent sure. But the pos that he mentioned it all on was just about sexing blueys at hinge just as an owner. That's why it worries me. Especially considering half the members are kids that own blueys.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: sexing no-no, or is it ok?
I dont think theres anything wrong qith demonstrating the technique,im sure folk would try it regardless if there shown how to or not,at least with a demo it can be explained better and shown first hand,imagine people just trying it without dremonstrations,more chance of stuffing up
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 229 guests
