Page 1 of 1

Favourite food

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 am
by Reptile- mad
Hello, I was wondering what foods my skink might like so I started this thread to see what your skinks go gaga for or really don't like. My skink likes banana and does not like green things! :roll:

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am
by CarlyM
So far mine has liked everything i have given him. Not picky yet...lol he loves blueberries!

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 am
by Richard.C
Reptile mad,try a garden snail,there like bluetongue lollies

Mine mostly eat dogfood,pedigree or chum but some arent choosey and devour anything,some love live food,especially the centralians,peps them up if u chuck in a cricket or 2,they are suprisingly quite good at running them down,stumpys love the chase to but are so clutsy takes them ages to catch them

Some species love yellow flowers

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 am
by camwin
My Northern's favorite prey is Dubia roaches. I know you said food, but it's all the same since my Aeon treats all food the same, torture it, kill it, then eat it. (even if the food is dogfood or vegetables... I try not to question his motives.)

He chases them around, Chomps one until it flattens out and starts oozing, then goes onto the next one. After this is done to all of them he then proceeds to eat them one by one.

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 am
by Lea
I don't have a problem with any picky eaters right now. They all love their greens and I can feed a plate of just bok choy and boring veg and they never turn anything down. Suunto would live entirely on carrots though, given half a chance and if I feed them they have to be well mixed in or she will just go around the dish and pick out all the carrot and eat nothing else! They all have a fit over raspberries though! It goes from just shinglebacks eating dinner to a shark like feeding frenzy if they have them!

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 am
by kenn
I give a home made squash of dogfood, veggie and fruit.
This every other day (young animal).

And offcourse she gets a treat ;)

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 am
by taniya91
oh my skully is the pickiest eater EVER she loves her snails though and hardboiled eggs but i usually have to blend her food to get her to eat her greens and squash/or other veggie...she is also becoming picky with her fruit... Bones isn't picky but LOVES earthworms always clears her bowl/plate regardless of what i put in/on it. and crackerjack is OBSESSED with watermelon lol he generally eats what i give him and isnt too picky BUT if there is watermelon in the bowl he flings his food EVERYWHERE so he can get every last piece of melon and he looks like a crazy animal when he does it, he scared me the first time because i thought something was wrong with him ...nope... just wanted all the watermelon...then he cleans up after himself and does finish his food

the other day crackerjack flung his salad to get the watermelon and he landed on his head and he couldn't see...it was quite funny and i of course helped him since it was my fault since i didn't rip it small enough

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 pm
by stinkyskinky
Wherr do you buy snails?

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm
by Spindown
snails by far. :D
You can get canned snails from zoo-med.

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 am
by Linnea
banana and cucumber for litchie. (only treats ;__;)

for pomme, i think its any sort of live food, and banana. he seems to enjoy vegetables more than the dog food.

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 am
by ReptileChick
Sly loves blue berries and likes his horn and silk worms. I've also been buying a "spring mix" of greens and picking out the spinach and feeding him the rest. So far the only greens I've been successful in getting him to eat. I mash his blue berries with it and feed him some worms lol He sometimes fights with the greens then spits them out. Its hilarious.

Re: Favourite food

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:10 am
by tylociraptor
Misha's FAVORITE treats are...

Egg- she goes mad for it! She also gets it a little more often than her other treats because it's inexpensive and okay for her.
Snails- She's nuts for these too! She loves crunching them up. As soon as I put snails in her cage, she's right there! I feed her apple snails. :)
Mice/rats: Mind you, SMALL ones, nothing bigger than a pinky/pup rat. These are easy for me because I keep snakes, so I have a ton in my freezer.

In terms of other live food than snails, she gets hornworms and/or silk worms usually once a week. If I could find dubia roaches she'd have them too, but they're hard to find in Canada due to legalities. I might be getting some from a entomologist friend come summertime though!

She also loves bananas and mushrooms, both of which she gets fairly rarely, once to twice a month at the most. Both contain things that can mess with how she absorbs the vitamins/calcium in her food, so I like to stay on the safe side. I also mix it up with her food, switching from dog food to cooked ground beef from time to time. I'd love to get my hands on some Kangaroo steak and cook it up for her, (or find out if they can eat it raw), but it costs like 100 bucks per pound to import to Canada...