Favourite food
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Reptile- mad
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 159
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Favourite food
Hello, I was wondering what foods my skink might like so I started this thread to see what your skinks go gaga for or really don't like. My skink likes banana and does not like green things! 
-
CarlyM
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm
- Country: Usa
Re: Favourite food
So far mine has liked everything i have given him. Not picky yet...lol he loves blueberries!
0.0.1 Northern- Scruffy
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Favourite food
Reptile mad,try a garden snail,there like bluetongue lollies
Mine mostly eat dogfood,pedigree or chum but some arent choosey and devour anything,some love live food,especially the centralians,peps them up if u chuck in a cricket or 2,they are suprisingly quite good at running them down,stumpys love the chase to but are so clutsy takes them ages to catch them
Some species love yellow flowers
Mine mostly eat dogfood,pedigree or chum but some arent choosey and devour anything,some love live food,especially the centralians,peps them up if u chuck in a cricket or 2,they are suprisingly quite good at running them down,stumpys love the chase to but are so clutsy takes them ages to catch them
Some species love yellow flowers
-
camwin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm
- Country:
- Location: Denver, Colorado US
Re: Favourite food
My Northern's favorite prey is Dubia roaches. I know you said food, but it's all the same since my Aeon treats all food the same, torture it, kill it, then eat it. (even if the food is dogfood or vegetables... I try not to question his motives.)
He chases them around, Chomps one until it flattens out and starts oozing, then goes onto the next one. After this is done to all of them he then proceeds to eat them one by one.
He chases them around, Chomps one until it flattens out and starts oozing, then goes onto the next one. After this is done to all of them he then proceeds to eat them one by one.
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Favourite food
I don't have a problem with any picky eaters right now. They all love their greens and I can feed a plate of just bok choy and boring veg and they never turn anything down. Suunto would live entirely on carrots though, given half a chance and if I feed them they have to be well mixed in or she will just go around the dish and pick out all the carrot and eat nothing else! They all have a fit over raspberries though! It goes from just shinglebacks eating dinner to a shark like feeding frenzy if they have them!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: Favourite food
I give a home made squash of dogfood, veggie and fruit.
This every other day (young animal).
And offcourse she gets a treat
This every other day (young animal).
And offcourse she gets a treat
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
-
taniya91
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 234
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 pm
- Country:
- Location: saint louis
Re: Favourite food
oh my skully is the pickiest eater EVER she loves her snails though and hardboiled eggs but i usually have to blend her food to get her to eat her greens and squash/or other veggie...she is also becoming picky with her fruit... Bones isn't picky but LOVES earthworms always clears her bowl/plate regardless of what i put in/on it. and crackerjack is OBSESSED with watermelon lol he generally eats what i give him and isnt too picky BUT if there is watermelon in the bowl he flings his food EVERYWHERE so he can get every last piece of melon and he looks like a crazy animal when he does it, he scared me the first time because i thought something was wrong with him ...nope... just wanted all the watermelon...then he cleans up after himself and does finish his food
the other day crackerjack flung his salad to get the watermelon and he landed on his head and he couldn't see...it was quite funny and i of course helped him since it was my fault since i didn't rip it small enough
the other day crackerjack flung his salad to get the watermelon and he landed on his head and he couldn't see...it was quite funny and i of course helped him since it was my fault since i didn't rip it small enough
-
stinkyskinky
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 60
- Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 am
- Country:
- Location: Florida
Re: Favourite food
Wherr do you buy snails?
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Favourite food
snails by far. 
You can get canned snails from zoo-med.
You can get canned snails from zoo-med.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Favourite food
banana and cucumber for litchie. (only treats ;__;)
for pomme, i think its any sort of live food, and banana. he seems to enjoy vegetables more than the dog food.
for pomme, i think its any sort of live food, and banana. he seems to enjoy vegetables more than the dog food.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
-
ReptileChick
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am
- Country:
- Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Favourite food
Sly loves blue berries and likes his horn and silk worms. I've also been buying a "spring mix" of greens and picking out the spinach and feeding him the rest. So far the only greens I've been successful in getting him to eat. I mash his blue berries with it and feed him some worms lol He sometimes fights with the greens then spits them out. Its hilarious.
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Favourite food
Misha's FAVORITE treats are...
Egg- she goes mad for it! She also gets it a little more often than her other treats because it's inexpensive and okay for her.
Snails- She's nuts for these too! She loves crunching them up. As soon as I put snails in her cage, she's right there! I feed her apple snails.
Mice/rats: Mind you, SMALL ones, nothing bigger than a pinky/pup rat. These are easy for me because I keep snakes, so I have a ton in my freezer.
In terms of other live food than snails, she gets hornworms and/or silk worms usually once a week. If I could find dubia roaches she'd have them too, but they're hard to find in Canada due to legalities. I might be getting some from a entomologist friend come summertime though!
She also loves bananas and mushrooms, both of which she gets fairly rarely, once to twice a month at the most. Both contain things that can mess with how she absorbs the vitamins/calcium in her food, so I like to stay on the safe side. I also mix it up with her food, switching from dog food to cooked ground beef from time to time. I'd love to get my hands on some Kangaroo steak and cook it up for her, (or find out if they can eat it raw), but it costs like 100 bucks per pound to import to Canada...
Egg- she goes mad for it! She also gets it a little more often than her other treats because it's inexpensive and okay for her.
Snails- She's nuts for these too! She loves crunching them up. As soon as I put snails in her cage, she's right there! I feed her apple snails.
Mice/rats: Mind you, SMALL ones, nothing bigger than a pinky/pup rat. These are easy for me because I keep snakes, so I have a ton in my freezer.
In terms of other live food than snails, she gets hornworms and/or silk worms usually once a week. If I could find dubia roaches she'd have them too, but they're hard to find in Canada due to legalities. I might be getting some from a entomologist friend come summertime though!
She also loves bananas and mushrooms, both of which she gets fairly rarely, once to twice a month at the most. Both contain things that can mess with how she absorbs the vitamins/calcium in her food, so I like to stay on the safe side. I also mix it up with her food, switching from dog food to cooked ground beef from time to time. I'd love to get my hands on some Kangaroo steak and cook it up for her, (or find out if they can eat it raw), but it costs like 100 bucks per pound to import to Canada...
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 172 guests
