Page 1 of 1

How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I know that are aren't alot of them but isn't under 20 a bit of a stretch?
Global Captive Breeders imported like 30?
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... p?t=377929

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm
by Fatal_S
Lol. Pretty sure Ray alone breeds a few dozen a year. If Andrew is still breeding, make that another litter annually. Plus a few other people who have pairs. They're not exactly common, but anyone who wants one could get it easily in the USA.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 pm
by Karen
Yeah just sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I do know that he bought them from California Breeders Union for atleast that much, and they are from Andrew's bloodline.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm
by Fatal_S
Well lets see. I think my yellows were $250 or $350 each as babies. Was years ago, so hard to remember. I suppose $1000 isn't awful if it's a proven breeding pair, but you'd have to really love yellow tannies. They're just not a species you can make money on - it's hard to sell shy/bitey reptiles. There's a reason not many people have them and these people keep selling off breeding pairs.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am
by Jeff
It is also my understanding that yellows are much more common than silvers in the wild. Like Mel said, the only reason they are "rare" in the pet trade is because there is very little demand for them.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:22 am
by Richard.C
Id have some if we could here,bitey ones are fun,lolthere great looking subspecies to,both yellows and silvers,andrew used to talk of a green phase tanny that back in the day was being imported,im yet to see a pic,so guessing they are the rarer form of tanny

Saying there rare in for sales adds is a sale gimmick,to sucker folk into buying things as rare and morphs have become popular,people are into keeping stuff to try and make money

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 am
by Jeff
There is also a brown phase that I haven't seen for years now. This is a sub-species that already has multiple "morphs". :roll: They are definitely nice looking, unfortunately very few people are willing to pay a higher price for them than they can get a northern or IJ for, so it is hard to justify the cost and effort to acquire and breed them unless you want to keep most of the babies for 20 years or so.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 am
by Linnea
id be very interested in seeing a green tanny. its not something i can imagine, but blueys never, ever, cease to surprise me.

ive been starign at some yellow tannies in germany for AGES. always been low on money when theyre in season....but this year and from no on will be different :)
if i geen a green light (good health) on my northerns that is.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:19 am
by Richard.C
Brown ones to,never seen them either

It suprises me they arent more popular,i never get sick of seeing them

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am
by Spindown
I wouldnt mind a Tanny in the future, but I wouldnt breed them for the reasons mentioned already. They sure are pretty little guys though!

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am
by Katrina
They are very cool looking - I've seen pics of brown ones and Mel's WC one has a very cool look to it. Seeing the Tannies was one of the (many) highlights of visiting Mel! That was the first time I'd seen them in person.

I think lots of first time buyers also want bigger species, I know that is something that has come up quite a bit and almost no one is looking for a small BTS. It's probably a blessing for the wild populations that there is such little demand for them.

Re: How "rare" are Yellow tanimbars?

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm
by Shortie
I would love to have another Tannie!! Not to breed [i don't fancy having baby tannies hanging off my fingers!!] but because they have such amazing personalities!! Plus, Slinky's calmed down and has pretty much stopped trying to attack me! I kinda miss the angriness and the hissing! but over here in the UK I don't think there are many tannies about. I've only seen one or two up for sale!