Finally getting ready to build the AP Cage I bought for my skink and I was wondering what you guys think of waterfalls? This cage has quite a bit of room and I was thinking getting a waterfall might be fun and add to the humidity. Any thoughts? If you like them, which brand do you prefer?
Thanks,
Joe
Waterfall?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Waterfall?
If you really love cleaning, a waterfall is a great addition to a tank. They make perfect skink-toilets
Results = a slimy disgusting clogged pump constantly and the entire waterfall needs to be scoured. I'm lazy, so it was totally not worth it to me.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Waterfall?
I have a waterfall in my tank, and it is great for the humidity. I'm lucky in that my skink doesn't like to poop in his water, so cleaning is not too much of an issue for me. However, it does require a very thorough cleaning about once a month to keep it running smoothly. I've heard that crickets get stuck in them too, but I don't feed crickets.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: Waterfall?
The pros and cons have already been pretty much outlined for you. They can be neat additions to the cage, and if your skink doesn't poop in them, they don't get too messy. As mentioned, a thorough cleaning every so often is needed to ensure the pump continues to run smoothly, and loose feeder insects can and will drown in them.
I actually really like using waterfalls for baby beardies and baby skinks - the running water encourages them to drink, and baby beardies in particular are kind of dumb when it comes to finding their water source. My skinks never had much of an issue, but since they're shedding more often, the added humidity can be helpful.
Go with what you think looks cool
If you've only got the one skink and you've got the space and the willingness to clean the waterfall occasionally, I don't see the harm.
-Jen
I actually really like using waterfalls for baby beardies and baby skinks - the running water encourages them to drink, and baby beardies in particular are kind of dumb when it comes to finding their water source. My skinks never had much of an issue, but since they're shedding more often, the added humidity can be helpful.
Go with what you think looks cool
-Jen
I used to be cool.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Waterfall?
All 5 of my skinks like to at least occasionally poop in their water bowls...it sure wouldnt work for me, although I think it would be nifty if it could...I also dont have humidity issues living in a pretty coastal area that I do and that would probably make my humidity TOO high 
if you do get/make one, please post pics!
if you do get/make one, please post pics!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 261 guests
