Page 1 of 1
Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm
by Wiener_dawg
I was wondering what other reptiles may be compatible with my skink? It's a huge cage with a lot of room and I know I obviously can't put my snake in there. But what other lizards could I put in without causing stress? Mostly my skink isn't in his cage anyway unless I'm not home.
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm
by taniya91
short answer: none
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Sometimes multiple skinks can be kept together without aggression.
Their is always the possibility of them fighting though, and since they are restricted to a cage, it is unlikely that the weaker of the two skinks would be able to get away.
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 pm
by Fatal_S
Best companion for a pet skink = a pet rock. They take very little extra care (occasional cleaning), and make great friends for skinks. Rocks can keep skinks warm if sitting under a light. They can provide a sense of security by blocking the skink from view. They can give an itchy skink something to rub against, and don't ask for anything in return. And best off, they won't attack your skink and leave you with a dead pet. Perfect tank-mates!
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm
by donkeybuff
If it's smaller than a BTS, it will probably be killed or eaten. If its larger, it will either kill your skink or stress it to death. BTS aren't very nice to other animals

Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 am
by Linnea
Wiener_dawg wrote: Mostly my skink isn't in his cage anyway unless I'm not home.
your skink should be in his cage when youre home too, or it may lead to consequences due to not being able to bask long enough to process the food. remember their metabolism (ability to break down eaten food and absorb its nutrient) is based on being able to bask and cool off whenever it wants to.
to take the skink out? sure.
to take him out of his cage as much as i imagine you do from the way you wrote that, sounds worrysome.
i agree fully with what the others wrote, skinks dislike living company unless it feeds them bananas. bananas is a figure of speech here, meaning its favourite food.
pet plants are murdered, even plastic ones sometimes. pet logs do well for a while, but my skink has started breaking off bits from it when working on the shed, so a rock may really be the best if you want an everlasting tankmate xD
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 am
by Richard.C
Indoors id probably keep em by themselves,they can get along ok with other species though,but can just as likely have to compete with them,which can always end sadly
Theres no givens though,some seem to do fine,others dont,not just blueys either,but there cagemates might actually go at the bluey
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 am
by Coomassie
Fatal_S wrote:Best companion for a pet skink = a pet rock. They take very little extra care (occasional cleaning), and make great friends for skinks. Rocks can keep skinks warm if sitting under a light. They can provide a sense of security by blocking the skink from view. They can give an itchy skink something to rub against, and don't ask for anything in return. And best off, they won't attack your skink and leave you with a dead pet. Perfect tank-mates!
Bahahahahahaha

Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 am
by AnnaMonroe
Fatal_S wrote:Best companion for a pet skink = a pet rock. They take very little extra care (occasional cleaning), and make great friends for skinks. Rocks can keep skinks warm if sitting under a light. They can provide a sense of security by blocking the skink from view. They can give an itchy skink something to rub against, and don't ask for anything in return. And best off, they won't attack your skink and leave you with a dead pet. Perfect tank-mates!
LMAO!!!

Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:38 pm
by marisa
Ok, I am NOT by any means an expert nor do I believe that this is the right thing to do... but I'll say what I've seen others do and you can decide for yourself.
I have a friend who keeps two adult blue tongue skinks (a pair) with two adult tortoises (a small species, but they are tortoises, not turtles). I will say right off the bat that the enclosure is quite large (about 200 gal) with lots of hiding places. Secondly, while they seem to have no interest in each other and do not seem to be bothered by each other at all... they have also been sharing the enclosure for over 4 years, so it's hard to tell just how much they went through before they settled down.
A word of great caution: I've never heard of or seen anybody else keeping BTS with other species of reptiles, this is the only person I know who does. However I'd also mention that one of the skinks has a large scar across the face- whether that came from a mating attempt or from one of the tortoises, I couldn't tell you.
At any rate, I think this is a really dangerous and risky idea... but I thought I'd write to say what I've seen another do. Good luck!
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:31 pm
by Spindown
I would TOTALLY recommend against getting your skink a "friend" of any kind. Like others have said, stress can happen or its a eat or be eaten. Not to mention, you would have to do quite the quarantine and massive research before attempting something so pointless. Almost all reptiles do better alone. Period.
Not to mention...if one got sick, how would you tell which one it was? Or which had the wierd poop and could have parasites? Etc.
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 pm
by Bluish
Fatal_S wrote:Best companion for a pet skink = a pet rock. They take very little extra care (occasional cleaning), and make great friends for skinks. Rocks can keep skinks warm if sitting under a light. They can provide a sense of security by blocking the skink from view. They can give an itchy skink something to rub against, and don't ask for anything in return. And best off, they won't attack your skink and leave you with a dead pet. Perfect tank-mates!
What about a log? J/K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6Dpq5 ... ata_player
Re: Skink Compatibility???
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 pm
by Richard.C
It also depends alot on what species you have,some do fine in groups,if u have the space,eg stumpies,blotchies,i keep westerns in pairs,centralians in a group of 5 and even have a trio of northerns together,the northerns are an oddity as the rest of my northerns would go each other if housed together
Housing together theres always the risk of them turning on one another,even after living peacefully for years,hence keeping them alone is reccomended,as u dont need to worry bout that happening