Page 1 of 1

BackwaterReptiles?

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm
by xXmisscarcarrXx
Hello everyone!
I was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with BackwaterReptiles.com? If so, are they relaible or a scam? To me, it seems odd that they have so many reptiles/amphibians for sale. Thanks

Re: BackwaterReptiles?

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm
by Fatal_S
No experience with them personally, but they're obviously an importer. As in the reason they have so much available is because they bring in huge numbers or WC (or cheaply sold CB for commonly bred species) animals. Importers can be useful, and some are even decent people who care about the animals, but importing and large-scale sales have downsides. Namely, the animal is usually not as healthy or socialized as a CBB animal from a good breeder. Any import/pet store animals should be taken to a vet for a check-up, and have a fecal check done. You also need to know the signs of mites/respiratory infection, because these are very common issues.

If you're looking for a specific animal, or need a new bloodline, it's okay to consider a GOOD importer (many are awful, and cause so much animal suffering). But if you want a pet, especially if you're new to reptiles/the species, find a fantastic breeder who will get you started with a healthy, friendly animal and who will help you through all the beginner issues :)

Re: BackwaterReptiles?

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm
by donkeybuff
I would not use them. They have been banned from the Fauna Board of Inquiry for creating fake accounts to promote themselves and slander other companies. Additionally, private breeders have confirmed that they have sold animals to Backwater, which Backwater then sells for higher prices (known as drop-shipping). You would be better off buying directly from a breeder.

Re: BackwaterReptiles?

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm
by Vegasarah
Yeah, if you want a good quality animal I would look elsewhere. Are you looking for a BTS or are you asking just because? If you let us know what you are looking for I'm sure members on here can recommend breeders of all different types of animals! I have no personal experience with them but I have heard stories like what donkeybuff is saying. I wouldn't trust them personally. ;)