Page 1 of 1

BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm
by Almostinsane
Hi all,

my sisters BTS Arden (We call her Bebe stink, or Bebe.. I prefer beebs personally.) has been with us for quite some time. this is a picture we got sometime last summer, but her scales still look the same.
I've compared it with the three nose formations on the BTS.net care guide and it doesn't match any of them.
does anyone know anything about this? seen a skink with the same scale formation?


Thanks in advance. :)

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm
by Spindown
I'm not a vet, but I cant imagine its serious, just cool :)
Shes a cutie for sure!

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 am
by Linnea
hello :D

skinks all have different scale formations, its nothing to worry about. its kinda like fingerprints, i think. cute photo!

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 am
by kenn
As a vet I just have to say:
Nice animal!

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am
by Almostinsane
Thanks everyone, s/he is super cute, eh?

I just wanted to post again quickly because I think a lot of people are missing the point. I know Skinks all have different scale formations, but at the end they usually have a certain pattern.
these pictures are posted on the care sheet
http://bluetongueskinks.net/bowtie1.jpg
http://bluetongueskinks.net/bowtie2.jpg
http://bluetongueskinks.net/bowtie3.jpg
and Ardens doesn't match any of them.

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm
by Spindown
I dont think we are missing the point. Sometimes animals have differences. For example, my axolotl has 4 gills on one side and 2 stuck together on the left in a triangle. They are supposed to have 3 & 3, not stuck together. She has no health issues related to the gills, so its just something that makes her very unique! Your bluey is the same way. It has a different scale pattern on the nose. If it is not causing health issues, and it sounds like it isnt, then it is just a weird thing, and in this case, its kinda cool! Just because most of the scale "mutations" on the nose fall into a few common categories doesn't mean by ANY stretch of the imagination that they all do. Those are just the common scale formations.

Re: BTS with weird scale formation

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 am
by Kurt
both of my skinks have a weird scale formation...

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0693.jpg