Page 1 of 1
The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 am
by LarsSWE
Hello!
First of all, thank You for a great forum. I've been lurking around for for a long time, but now I decided to join up. I have an ID question. I've never had any doubt that my skink Korven (Sausage) is a Merauke until now. For some reason I've come to believe the tail is a bit short. I know some of You guys are great at IDing skinks, so I'm posting this to you.
Cheers!
Re: The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 am
by Richard.C
Id say meurake
Re: The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 am
by Lea
I do find it tricky to I'D the Indonesian species, but even so, I agree with Richard this time. I think a few more pictures would help though, hint hint
we like pictures!
Re: The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 pm
by Jeff
That one is a bit of a cross. Not a hybrid or carelessly bred animal at all. It is almost certainly either wild caught (meaning naturally occurring in the wild) or farm bred animal. It has characteristics of both animals that are called indonesians and a merauke. Those two groups exist in common areas in the wild, so commonly breed with each other.
I think you could find animals like this in the wild in the areas near Merauke, Indonesia. I would have a hard time classifying it as either merauke or Indonesian, but definitely think it is a great looking animal. Remember, classifications are only man-made terms that we have made up to describe what we see in the wild. Just because a specific animal doesn't fit cleanly into a category that we have created doesn't mean anything other than our categories are not perfect. I really like your skink! Welcome to the forum!
Re: The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:27 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Jeff wrote:That one is a bit of a cross. Not a hybrid or carelessly bred animal at all. It is almost certainly either wild caught (meaning naturally occurring in the wild) or farm bred animal. It has characteristics of both animals that are called indonesians and a merauke. Those two groups exist in common areas in the wild, so commonly breed with each other.
I think you could find animals like this in the wild in the areas near Merauke, Indonesia. I would have a hard time classifying it as either merauke or Indonesian, but definitely think it is a great looking animal. Remember, classifications are only man-made terms that we have made up to describe what we see in the wild. Just because a specific animal doesn't fit cleanly into a category that we have created doesn't mean anything other than our categories are not perfect. I really like your skink! Welcome to the forum!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Re: The age old ID question
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm
by Vegasarah
My first guess before scrolling down to see what the masters have said was also Indo x Meruke! Woo! I'm getting better at this lol.
What a pretty guy, he looks really cool
