Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cenetri » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Hey everybody!

2-3 weeks ago I got my first northern. I'm so happy about how he turned out! I thought that I was going to have to tame him down a bit because I figured he would be a skittish baby, but boy did he prove me wrong! He's got a lot of self-confidence and a great personality to match. If I go to pick him up, the most he does is a simple, quiet huff before climbing onto my hand. Couldn't be more pleased that I chose to get a blue tongue. :ohyes:

Seeing as today had a rainy, boring, indoor kind of afternoon, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to take some photos already! Without further ado, I present Phin!

Image
Image
Image
(Sides are a lot more orange than in this photo. Flash kinda dulls things out)
Image
Image
Image
(Can't really see in the pic, but in person his belly is a bright salmon pink with orange bars)

Sorry if the pictures have some blurry spots - he's quite the moving machine! He also disliked the flash, so that didn't help any.

And I keep saying "him" or "he", but honestly, I'm not sure of the gender. I know it's difficult to tell at this age, but take a stab at it if you'd like!

From the looks of it all - disposition, size, overall - I'm going to be into geting him another "friend" in a couple of years! :wink: :lol:
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Awesome northern! Who'd you buy from ?
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
CarlyM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm
Country: Usa

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby CarlyM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Very cute pics!
0.0.1 Northern- Scruffy
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cenetri » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 pm

hot carl wrote:Awesome northern! Who'd you buy from ?


I got Phin from ReptilePetsDirect, who bought from a private breeder. They seemed knowledgeable about skinks and their overall stock of animals, and worked with me very well. They seem to have healthy reptiles as well, seeing as Phin is docile, chubby and obviously healthy!

And thanks for the compliments guys! ^-^
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:02 am

Great pictures! Have fun with your new skink!
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cenetri » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Thank you! Man, I must say, blue tongues grow like weeds... Phin is already looking so much bigger, and is just about to have his second shed with me. It's so weird to think that 10 days ago he had finished shedding and is just about to once again! I'll have to take more photos soon.
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Can't wait to see the new pics. Did reptiles direct tell you who the private breeder was ?
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Bird_Brain » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Beautiful skink!
Brad
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby kenn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 am

Nice looking animal!
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cenetri » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Don't know the exact breeder, never really bothered to ask... should've now that I think about it, odd that I didn't. I asked for lots of other information, and they gladly answered. I assume it's just from a private breeder in the Texas area that deals with Northerns. He's in great shape and perfect health with no oddities, so he seems to be from a nice bloodline.

Thank you all for the compliments! The little bugger decided not to shed today, but he will very shortly.

Also, today was interesting because I got to hold a Northern from a reptile breeder about an hour away from me. They have a website called www.ronsreptiles.com, but they have an interesting setup. They converted their house into a reptile shop, though they still live in the back half of the home. I must say, it was definitely the cleanest reptile shop I've been into, and they had a nice little collection including multiple burms, retics, ball pythons and lots more snakes, along with ackies, beardies, fat tails and many monitors. Ron was nice enough to let me hold an adult northern and another that I had troubles IDing (he said it was a northern, but I almost felt as if it were an eastern/hybrid). It was nice to get an idea of the weight of these animals, and a general idea about size.
1.0 Northern Phineas
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Spindown » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:48 pm

awww hes cute :) And OH YEAH they grow fast!! Something really fun is to keep a length log...its amazing! One that I no longer own gained 4 inches in ONE month!!!!!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Cenetri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California

Re: Meet Phineas! (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cenetri » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm

So as I had mentioned, Phin shed a couple of days ago. I finally had the time to get a couple of photos of him today! They aren't the greatest (used my cell phone), and they really dull out his new colors (recently, he's really been lightening up and getting some more oranges on him!). Also, Phin is notorious for hiding his tongue during photo ops. He'll flicker it all day long until I bring out a camera, and when I do get a photo of that big blue tongue of his, he's moving and blurs the picture. Ugh, oh well, here's some photos!~

Image
Image
He's got quite the hefty chin!~
Image
And of course, on his beloved window seat looking into the backyard;
Image
Image
Image
Image

Wow, it's crazy to see how much he's grown already! Took some bath tile pics so that you could compare them to the originals from the first post.

Also, any ideas on gender yet? I know it's still early and it'd only be a guess, but I don't want to be calling him Phin for too long if he turns out to be a she!
1.0 Northern Phineas

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 229 guests