Page 1 of 1
Signs to look for in Gravid Female
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:40 am
by StaceyLeigh
Ok now that my male and female have breed 4 times, what do I look for to determine the female is gravid. From doing research on here this is what I have so far; Weigh them periodically (I have a weight from the 2nd mating day and will weigh every 3-4 weeks), visual appearance, towards the very end before birth, not eating and labored breathing. Are there other signs or is this it?
Re: Signs to look for in Gravid Female
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 am
by Jeff
I usually know that they were gravid for sure when I find baby skinks in their enclosure. Before that, it can vary from skink to skink. Some bask a lot more, but some don't. Some actually lose weight, at least for awhile. Most of mine will stop eating at some point, but for some of them it is only a single meal. Some "look" gravid, and some don't look any different at all, even the day they give birth. I have never had one start the labored breathing and NOT give birth, but I have had many that I never caught breathing heavy that did give birth.
After a few years of breeding the same animals, I can pretty much tell that my females are gravid now because I have seen how each individual has handled it in the past. When I breed a female for the first time though, I frequently don't know for sure until babies start coming out of her.
Re: Signs to look for in Gravid Female
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am
by StaceyLeigh
This is kind of what I thought. I plan to be prepared for the babies about a month out from "due date". If I get none, then I am ready for next year! Thanks for the info.!
Re: Signs to look for in Gravid Female
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:40 pm
by Scotts1au
They start to go a bit whacky and want you to build them a spice rack

Re: Signs to look for in Gravid Female
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:02 pm
by Jeff
Not sure why I was expecting to read something wise.
