Is he ready for a toenail trim?
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 am
Giles is my new Irian Jaya (I think) juvenile skink. I've had him for about two and a half weeks and he is doing extremely well. I would kind of just like to say what I am doing and maybe get some feedback?
On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I feed him: 50% chopped greens (I alternate between collard and mustard), 40% premium canned cat food that is 95% chicken and turkey, and 10% fruits (mango, raspberry, apple, etc.) He's eating very well. Mangoes are his favorite.
Every few days, I get Giles out for about twenty minutes and he has really improved. At first, he huffs quite a bit, but when he settles down, he explores and enjoys having the top of his head rubbed. After I put him back in his terrarium, I give him a snail as a treat, just because he loves them so much.
My main concern is for his toenails. They are not grotesquely long, but they are sharp and could use a trim. He is, however, very uncomfortable with me handling his feet. He will start huffing like a maniac, but he has never displayed his tongue or shown any signs of aggression ever.
I guess my question is, can the toenail trim wait until he is more comfortable having his feet handled, or is something I'll just have to grit my teeth and do?
Thanks,
Spencer
On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I feed him: 50% chopped greens (I alternate between collard and mustard), 40% premium canned cat food that is 95% chicken and turkey, and 10% fruits (mango, raspberry, apple, etc.) He's eating very well. Mangoes are his favorite.
Every few days, I get Giles out for about twenty minutes and he has really improved. At first, he huffs quite a bit, but when he settles down, he explores and enjoys having the top of his head rubbed. After I put him back in his terrarium, I give him a snail as a treat, just because he loves them so much.
My main concern is for his toenails. They are not grotesquely long, but they are sharp and could use a trim. He is, however, very uncomfortable with me handling his feet. He will start huffing like a maniac, but he has never displayed his tongue or shown any signs of aggression ever.
I guess my question is, can the toenail trim wait until he is more comfortable having his feet handled, or is something I'll just have to grit my teeth and do?
Thanks,
Spencer