Page 1 of 1

Introduction and first question

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 am
by stamuetir
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but I've been keeping a bluetongueskink for over 2 years now.
I want to get into breeding some time soon, so I was just wondering I'f you could help me out.
Because frankly I don't know what subspecies my skink is.
The guy I got him from just told me, that they are from Papua new guinea and Indonesia.
Here are some pics.
Thanks in advance. :)

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Halemhara Indonesian (Tiliqua Gigas Gigas)
:lounge:

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm
by Fatal_S
Every time I look I change my answer. Most of the time I say "New Merauke" (a Merauke with more colour and thicker bands) but sometimes I think Halmahera Indonesian.

So I'll just say welcome to the forum, please post lots more photos :)

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Fatal_S wrote:Every time I look I change my answer. Most of the time I say "New Merauke" (a Merauke with more colour and thicker bands) but sometimes I think Halmahera Indonesian.

Just do as I do and you shall be find :thumbs:
*walks off cliff*

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm
by stamuetir
Thanks for the fast replies.
Gigas Gigas is what I thought aswell, but I wasn't sure.
Got any Idea on the sex?
I had an ultrasound made by a very good reptile vet, but the mashine is to crappy for him to make out the reproductive organs.
And since I don't have any 100% sexed animal, I can't compare him/her.
Here are some more pics. :lol:

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm
by hurricanejen
Sorry, the Indos can be pretty tough to sex, especially without any others to compare to. :/

What substrate are you keeping it on? Its toes look like they might have some shed or bedding stuck to them.

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 pm
by stamuetir
Substrate is reptibark and its been working great for me.
The toes look like that, because he had some shedding problems about 1 year ago and some of them are missing,
hes been to the vet because of that, but he said that it happens and that he doesn't have any pain and stuff.

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 pm
by hurricanejen
Try soaking him in some water and gently rubbing to get it off. If it gets left, they can keep losing toes. A little bit of lukewarm water and a gentle rub should remove most of the stuck skin and might save the rest of his toes.

Re: Introduction and first question

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm
by stamuetir
Ok, will do so.
Thanks for the advice. :)