New enclosure in progress =) + New pics

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

New enclosure in progress =) + New pics

Postby Buddy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:41 am

So Buddy is getting a new enclosure in a few days, we're currently setting it up. It's actually for my savannah monitor, but he's just a baby so Buddy will be living here for quite a while, the monitor will be living in another enclosure until he's big enough to move in.

Poor thing will probably get lost in there, moving from a 4ft long to a 8.2x4ft :)
Doing the interior is gonna be so much fun! There's 6 built in spots in the ceiling, I will have 2 hanging lamps for heat and basking, a bath, caves and hides and other stuff.

Also, I have a question for you guys. The monitor will have cypress mulch for bedding. Will this be okay for the skink as well? Filling this one up with with wood chips is gonna cost me a fortune.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Buddy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Linnea » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:30 am

looks awesome, its so massively large :shock: (and so pretty)


build my enclosures too :cry:
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:46 am

The monitor should have dirt check this website out http://savannahmonitor.co/
The chips will be fine for the skink though.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 am

Thank you Linnea :) I haven't built this thing myself though :wink:

xxmonitorlizardxx: Cypress mulch is a very popular substrate as well, I was thinking of getting a mixture of soil and mulch.
Soil and sand it says in the link, I know a lot of people use this mixture, but I'm kind of unsure of what kind and where to get it? Like what kind of sand and what kind of dirt?

And I wasn't planning of having wood chips in this enclosure at all. :)
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:41 pm

you can use alot of different soil mixtures for monitors

ideally for burrowers if it can hold a burrow your on the right track,but they can do well on shallow substrates to,a few folk use leaf litter type substrates over soil or just leaf litter as well

thats one big enclosure,lol,looks great,cant wait to see how u set it up inside,the young savvana monitor will get pretty big before you know it to,monitors dont know how to stop eating
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Yeah, but I've been trying to find out what kind of soil and where I can get it.. Around 10 inches is no problem.

Yeah, it's quite a lot bigger than I imagined it to be. But, the bigger the better, I'm quite happy with it. Will definitely get some pics up when it's all set up. :)

Lol tell me about it, there's no stopping this little guy when it comes to food.
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Niels D » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:05 pm

That looks amazing.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you! :) I'm dying to start with the interior
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Very cool. I really wishi had room for a nice big display setup like that.
Brad
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks! :)

Well, let's just say that this one came with a few sacrifices :D I lost about half that room.. Still worth it though
EricaBobrik
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:12 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby EricaBobrik » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Beautiful enclosure. Can't wait to see it completed.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Buddy wrote: xxmonitorlizardxx: Cypress mulch is a very popular substrate as well, I was thinking of getting a mixture of soil and mulch.
Soil and sand it says in the link, I know a lot of people use this mixture, but I'm kind of unsure of what kind and where to get it? Like what kind of sand and what kind of dirt?

Sandy soil like this:
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/varanid/ ... -dirt.html
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:19 am

But is it safe to take it from outside? Do I need to heat it up or something?
EricaBobrik
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:12 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby EricaBobrik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 am

I wouldn't take it from the outside. When I used sandy soil in the past I got the really good organic stuff from a garden shop. You don't know what's in the soil outside.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Linnea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am

you do know whats in the soil outside :dead:
worms? yes.
worms that are parasites as well? yes. springmask är så mysigt!
insect eggs? maybe.

lots of bacterias that may not be harmful but will smell very intense if in the right conditions? yup.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 am

EricaBobrik wrote:I wouldn't take it from the outside. When I used sandy soil in the past I got the really good organic stuff from a garden shop. You don't know what's in the soil outside.


No that's what I mean, I don't want to risk him getting parasites and stuff. Don't know if sandy soil is something that's sold in garden shops around here, (i know cypress mulch is, that's why I was considering that in the first place) but I'll check it up. Thanks for the tip :)

Still wondering though if it's ok for my skink to have cypress mulch for bedding?
Last edited by Buddy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

Cypress mulch is fine for skinks. Not eco-friendly, but many people use it because it's cheap and great for humidity.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 am

Fatal_S wrote:Cypress mulch is fine for skinks. Not eco-friendly, but many people use it because it's cheap and great for humidity.


Thanks! :) If this was to be a permanent home for him I would go for the wood chips, but since it's only for a few months cypress mulch seems like a good alternative.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 am

Other cheap options include aspen shavings (I use a $30 bag to fill 5 48x24 tanks, so it should work for a layer in that big tank) or coconut mulch (from home hardware store, cheap in big bags and eco-friendly). But cypress mulch is a great substrate, the only downside is the environmental issues.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New enclosure in progress =)

Postby Buddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am

Aspen shavings aren't that cheap here , and coconut mulch isn't sold in hardware stores either.. :( I think I'll go with the cypress mulch this time.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 374 guests