Naxos is now just over 4 months old. Just completed a shed and I plan on posting some new pictures soon. So many of you like to try to guess the sex and I'm curious what you all think. Also, I want to make James jealous again cause this BTS is really something. Anyway on to my question.
Its looks like we will be relocating from San Diego to the San Fran Bay Area. We will be driving Naxos with us. The question is what is the best way to travel with Naxos? Type of carrier? provide heat? Feeding before or during trip? Do you think its best to drive all in one day or will it be more or less stressful to stop and stay over night somewhere?
Appreciate any advice or tales from experience.
Brenda
Traveling with Naxos
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- LizardLady46
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Marin County
Traveling with Naxos
Brenda
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Traveling with Naxos
i am only able to answer parts of your questions...sorry
dont feed before or during trip, since he will be unable to bask.
the quicker the less stressfull.
i have a 60cm x 40cm plastic box with large holes in the lid, i fill it with substrate and put the skink in. only done it once though.... im sure theres many more solutions.
dont feed before or during trip, since he will be unable to bask.
the quicker the less stressfull.
i have a 60cm x 40cm plastic box with large holes in the lid, i fill it with substrate and put the skink in. only done it once though.... im sure theres many more solutions.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Traveling with Naxos
If you are still looking for ideas, put in the word TRAVELING in the Search line. Lots of good advice there. 
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Traveling with Naxos
I wouldn't worry too much about transport. To make things simple.
Any sort of container he won't escape from but can provide ventilation, security, and protection from extremes will work. I use a reusable cloth shopping bag stuffed with a T-shirt. This can be tied off with the skink burrowed into the T-shirt. A plastic bin with a old shirt added in would be appropriate as well.
To make things less stressful I think it is important that the animal is able to move around but not be packed so loosely it will slide around during transit.
Any sort of container he won't escape from but can provide ventilation, security, and protection from extremes will work. I use a reusable cloth shopping bag stuffed with a T-shirt. This can be tied off with the skink burrowed into the T-shirt. A plastic bin with a old shirt added in would be appropriate as well.
To make things less stressful I think it is important that the animal is able to move around but not be packed so loosely it will slide around during transit.
- LizardLady46
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Marin County
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Traveling with Naxos
I have rubbermaid containers to transport all of my reptiles except for Coomassie. I couldn't find one that wasn't overly cramped in the length direction and wasn't overly large. I like the containers to be snug but not tight. Coomassie has a cat carrier. I line with a towel so he can burrow into the towel. My experience is they just sleep. I wouldn't feed for a few days before because food can stay in their gut for a few days and you don't want it in there when you travel. I doubt it will be cold where you are so you don't have to worry about traveling with heat packs. A day or two without heat won't hurt them. I'm assuming you are making the trip all in one day so I wouldn't give water either. If you are doing overnight, definitely offer water once you are off the road for the day.
Cay T.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 213 guests
