Page 1 of 1
Cleaning solution?
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm
by Willie19056
Hello everyone, I was wondering what everyone uses to clean or disinfect their tanks? Is there a homemade solution, or do you buy a store brand from a pet store? Thanks
-Willie
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm
by Rani-May
I dont know about anyone else but i only use Hot water and scrub it. I know some people use soapy water, but if you ever do that you need to make sure its thoroughly cleaned off and spotless. I don't bother with soap at all though. I dont let it get dirty enough to need anything more than a decent scrub

Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm
by Spindown
F-10 is the ONLY disinfectant I will use...its what reputable exotics vets use to disinfect. If you get a used tank, this is a MUST to kill gross nasties like Crypto and IBD.
Many people use vinegar in established, healthy collections, bleach and ammonia are not going to kill the nasties. Chlorahexidine is often recommended, but it is a wound scrub and antibacterial, not a disinfectant.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 pm
by ashnic05
I usually use just hot water in a 10% bleach solution. Then I towel dry it and let it finish air drying before I'll put his tank back together. As long it COMPLETELY evaporates the diluted bleach solution works great. I hesitate using other chemicals just because I do not have personal experience with them. I've been keeping various animals for years (personally and professionally) and have always used a diluted bleach solution to clean cages, feed bowls, hides, etc and never had a problem. Some people I know use a diluted bleach solution and then use a second spray bottle of water with de-chlorinator in it (easily found at your local fish store) to spray the tank again just to be extra safe. I've never deemed that necessary but it's another precaution you can take. Bleach always works, its cheap and easy to find.

Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 pm
by Spindown
F-10 is a quaternary ammonia solution, that is so safe in recommended concentrations that it is even used for birds. F-10 is affordable, makes quite a bit, and is very very safe.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:44 am
by Richard.C
I wouldnt trust anything to kill off ibd from an enclosure exept destroying the enclosure
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 am
by Coomassie
SapphireTigress wrote:F-10 is a quaternary ammonia solution, that is so safe in recommended concentrations that it is even used for birds. F-10 is affordable, makes quite a bit, and is very very safe.
Is that what you use Saphhire? We currently use 5% vinegar but I've heard of F-10 and I kind of want to try it. I just don't know where to get it in the states.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 am
by tiliqua38
I use a chlorhexidine solution.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 am
by AnnaMonroe
I buy this by the gallons! Cleans exceptionally well and smells great!!
http://www.petmountain.com/product/rept ... _tab_stage
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:15 pm
by Spindown
I would personally still throw out an IBD enclosure as well. I dont guarantee what F-10 kills, although there is quite a bit of info on the net about F-10 and what it kills. *EDIT* apparently it doesnt kill Crypto and IBD, there is no consensus as to what actually does however...I was told that it did. Meh, I'd never use a cage that had a crypto or IBD infected animal in there anyhow.
The following is taken from a website that sells F-10.
------------------------
F10SC is a total spectrum disinfectant that, unlike other strong disinfectants on the market, has no adverse side effects on people, animals, or on equipment and surfaces. It is ecologically friendly and biodegradable, and carries a wide range of registrations and approvals from around the world.
In Australia, F10SC is registered by the APVMA for use in animal production and housing facilities, approved by AQIS for use in food export processing as a non-rinse disinfectant, and is also listed by the TGA as a Hospital Grade Disinfectant.
The benefits of using F10SC include:
Kills all types of pathogen – F10SC is bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal, sporicidal.
Minimal chance of microbial resistance due to F10SC’s unique benzalkonium chloride and polyhexamethylene biguanide combination of actives and mode of action.
*Rapid kill times – less than 30 secs for gram positive bacteria, 60 secs for gram negative bacteria, Canine Parvovirus 20 mins.
Successfully tested against avian influenza (bird flu) viruses at a concentration of 1:500 in 10 mins.
Non-corrosive, non-toxic, non-tainting, non-irritating, aldehyde-free.
Highly cost effective.
Biodegradable & ecologically friendly.
Tried, tested, independently verified and documented, and approved around the world.
How to dilute F10Sc:
General disinfection of hard surfaces: dilute 1:500.
High level disinfection: dilute 1:250
For the most resistant viruses (eg parvovirus): dilute 1: 125.
How long will 200ml of F10SC disinfectant last?
If you use 2L of a workable solution per day for High Level Disinfection, you will have enough F10SC for 25 days.
Pack size: 200ml, 1L
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm
by El Lobo
I have been using F10SC at 1:250 for several years following advice from a vet. It is used for cleaning everything such as bluey enclosures, bird cages, rabbit hutches as well as food and water dishes. It is safe enough to use for misting bird aviaries. I also know a few people who have used it to nebulise rabbits with persistent pasteurella multicoda (a gram negative anaerobic bacteria) notably difficult to effectively treat with antibiotics.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm
by Spindown
It has also been used with success for nebulizing reptiles with respiratory infections.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm
by Spindown
I had in interview today at a doggy daycare, and they use a quaternary solution called HDQ. I googled it, it is very amazing, very similar to F-10 in what it does, maybe even more awesome.
http://www.spartanchemical.com/spartan/ ... hdqC_2.pdf
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:55 pm
by RosiePosie06
What's IBD? I trust you guys more than Google. Or send me a link that you know is correct.
Re: Cleaning solution?
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 am
by Spindown
Coomassie, you can get it online here, now. I'm not sure why it was previously not allowed, perhaps because it was new, but now you can easily get it in various sites.
RosieP, IBD is a snake disease (so far), called inclusion body disease. It is VERY VERY nasty, and always fatal. Although they have started doing research on it now, to see if they can find a cure.
http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/08/12545/ ... se-decoded