BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby auristi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm

My BTS's belly and under tail are really rough, almost like fish scales when you rub them the wrong way, and I cannot seem to keep his humidity up in the tank. I am living in central alberta, just outside of red deer, and I am wondering if anyone living in this area knows any tips.

I have a large shallow water dish AND a cigar humidifier already installed and the substrate I am using is a mix of aspen and coconut husk which was soaked in water (that kept the humidity up for a few days but then it went back to super low) The monitor that I have currently says that its at 0% but it seems to fluctuate between that and about 5 or 10%

I am thinking about installing a humid hide for him, is this a viable idea? Or are there some other easier options?

Thanks :)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I'd suggest a humid hide, that way he can regulate his own humidity.
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby auristi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I was just going to make one from a Tupperware container. Will this suffice? :)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby Spindown » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 pm

what kind of humidity reader are you using? Digital is way more accurate....its normally pretty hard to hit 0-10% (in my experience). Where I live in WA state, my ambient humidity is about 35%.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spankenstyne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm
Country:
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby Spankenstyne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am

Most of the "pet industry" humidity gauges aren't very accurate (unless you spent big $$ on some high end equipment) so I wouldn't get too worried about the humidity readings. I just use dry Aspen shavings but also offer a humid hide for my little Northern babies, which they all seem to use. Just a plastic container with damp (not soaking wet) Sphagnum moss I find works well. There are endless ways of achieving the same thing, only limited by one's imagination & creativity. I'm with Mel though, offer a humid hide and it can regulate on it's own.

If you could post pics of the belly scales we might be able to have a better idea of what might be going on. I have concerns that we might possibly be looking at minor scale rot if you've been soaking the substrate and using a cigar humidifier (if this was one of my Northern babies?). I keep my Northerns dry in our Alberta climate with no issues, just a large water dish and for the wee ones a humid hide.
It's so hot.....Milk was a bad choice
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: BTS owners of Alberta .. Humidity questions

Postby Spindown » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

you can get a $15 dollar humidity/temp gauge at Walmart, they are in the gardening section. They are called Accu-rites or something like that. I use them for humidity and ambient temp range. I do NOT use them for basking spot readings as they arent very accurate for that.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 269 guests