Hello everyone, I'm new to the boards and have a question about my Skink, first a little back story...
My wife is a teacher in a local school district and after a conversation with the schools science teacher came home and asked me if I'd like a lizard, puzzled with her question, I asked her why? She continued to tell me that the science teacher had way to many reptiles in her classroom and the school was making her reduce it to an acceptable number... I said sure, I'd take one..
A few days later my wife comes home with a shoe box and hands it to me, I open the box and I see a beautiful Blue Tongue Skink, I've seen a few at a pet store, but never knew anything about them, my wife tells me that the science teacher hasn't handled the skink enough and is not sure if it bites....which brings me to my question:
When I slowly reach in to establish contact with "Gus" his body seems to tighten up, like he is going to hiss, he doesn't, but he seems like he doesn't want to be touched, is there a way to, for lack of a better word "re-train" Gus to become friendly?
Thank you for any and all advice..
Adult Skink owner
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Willie19056
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: Levittown,Pa
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Adult Skink owner
The simple answer is, the more you handle him, the more he will tolerate it. Just keep handling him if you want him to be hadleable. It really is that simple.
Welcome to the forum!
Welcome to the forum!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Adult Skink owner
I got my BTS from a science teacher too! I wasn't worried about the handling thing when I got him but your post is making me think maybe I should have
anyway, welcome!
anyway, welcome!
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Adult Skink owner
wow, I want free skinks! 
Pics!!!
Pics!!!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Adult Skink owner
SapphireTigress wrote:wow, I want free skinks!
Pics!!!
come to Tassie then, ALL reptiles are always free lol
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Adult Skink owner
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 198 guests
