Page 1 of 1

Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:26 am
by Erebus
After doing some research I've decided to look into acquiring my first BTS. Have a large terrarium already purchased that should suffice for an adult, now just choosing the equipment I want to put in and just want to know what people can personally recommend to be used as bedding or substrate. I noticed the caresheet mentioned small animal bedding and if that's the best option then i'll go with that, but I know new products and information become available constantly so I'd like to get some feedback. Also I'm big on making the habitat as natural 'feeling' as possible so just a list of some good options would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:35 am
by tiliqua38
I've always used aspen shavings from the small animal department. I've tried other substrates over the years and always go back to the aspen. My BTS seems happiest with it.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 am
by KrisKringle
I and a majority of BTS owners use and recomend aspen shavings since skinks love it and it's cheap and easy to find. If you go to the pet store and don't see it in the reptile section go into the rodent section and they should have it, make sure it says aspen shavings or shaved aspen and not pine or cedar because that can harm your skink. You can also use carefresh which is easy to find and relativly cheap but some owners that use this says it packs down to much and might hold to much moisture which can lead to mold. Another great option which I may switch to because of availablility and price is condensed wood pellets which some owners use and can be found at Home Depot or Lows sold as wood pellets for wood pellet burners. Good luck!!

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Most breeders/keepers use/recommend cypress mulch.
I also prefer it :thumbs:

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 am
by Linnea
cypress mulch (not harmful to forests and gives good humidity if needed), cork bark (doesnt absorb any water, so wont mold, somewhat eco), wood chips (not great for the forest, but it works) .

aspen shavings are popular but as said....cypress mulch can be worth the extra you pay for.

and yes, avoid pine trees and cedar.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 am
by Fatal_S
Actually, cypress mulch is extremely harmful to forests. Aspen not as much. Coconut substrates are very eco-friendly.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 am
by Ellie_A
I have been using eco-earth but have found that it gets packed down very quickly so that the skinks can't burrow in it. I may change to aspen shavings but was told originally that this would be too dry for my Irian Jayas. Is this correct or can I make the change? I think that my guys are getting ready to bruminate and they seem to hate that they can't burrow.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm
by Wiener_dawg
I use coconut shavings for my reptiles. Good for burrowing and not that costly either. Absorbs moisture so no worry of mold and holds in orders well. Also easy for spot cleaning. My BTS is happy with is and loves burrowing whenever he's in there :). Usually he sleeps with me and roams the room when I'm not home though.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 pm
by Erebus
Thank you all for your input. It's really appreciated! :]

Got plenty of time before I look into adopting a skink so feel free to add anything to the thread, I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can and be as prepared as possible. No impulse buys for me.

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm
by Spindown
I use a layer of newspaper in the whole cage, and then put aspen in about half of the cage. Gives them a place to burrow, while still being easy to clean, etc. It is also a nice place to feed them roaches (on the newspaper side) or other live critters so they arent eating aspen. Aspen is a pain, but I've tried everything from dirt to coco-husk to bark, and aspen is just the easiest. (and cheapest)

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:11 am
by Erebus
I've been considering using ReptiCarpet on the bottom and covering that with the Aspen Shavings. It'd be a bit more costly but I think it'd be easier to clean in the long run. I noticed you said you feed your Skink roaches, are you referring to Dubias or something else?

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:17 pm
by Spindown
yes, Dubias. Turks are too small and fast (my friend has these), and M. Hissers are too hard shelled and spikey (i also have these). However, you could feed them just about any larger roach, such as deaths heads, dubias, etc. I really want a colony of the death's heads roaches :D

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 am
by Erebus
Death's Head roaches? I've never heard of those or seen any at any expos I've been to. My buddy has a small group of Dubias going, ( He owns a Hairy Scorpion ) in a 10g tank. We'll probably share the group and add to it until we get a sizeable colony going. Since we're on the topic of food though how often did you feed your Bluey when it was a baby, and what food and portions? As descriptive as possible please. I wanna make sure my first Bluey lives a long and healthy life. :]

Re: Looking for advice about substrate...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 am
by Spindown
Use the search function for that last question. THere are lots of food and baby threads.