my new blue tongue :)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all, this is my new baby Indonesian blue tongue skink.
His name is Randall... (Assuming it's a he lol).
It's my first ever reptile and he is still settling in atm, will post pics
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

We to the site and to skinks :) Look forward to the pictures
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Niels D » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm

You've managed to choose a BTS as your first reptile!? That's the best choice you could make if you ask me. :P
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Niels D wrote:You've managed to choose a BTS as your first reptile!? That's the best choice you could make if you ask me. :P

definitely agree with you, they are the easiest and best reptile for a beginner.
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Niels D » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 pm

And simply my favourite!
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Niels D wrote:And simply my favourite!

Mine too :D
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:37 am

Image
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:39 am

He is still very shy, so I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I can start
To get him used to hand feeding and being held. :D
Any useful tricks will be appreciated. Blue tongues are so cool
And so glad I got one
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 am

Whatever you do, dont pull your hand away quickly if it looks as though he is going to bite you, might be difficult but that will teach him to do it more. Maybe just start by sitting him on your lap for a while each day and if/when he seems comfortable with that, move to hand feeding and petting. :)

He is gorgeous. And from what i can see the set up looks pretty nice, got a shot of the entire thing by any chance? :)
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 am

Well at the minute it's 2.5 foot square, until he is about 6 months old.
Currently constructing a 4 foot by 2.5 foot viv for when he is growing..
At the minute he is easy to care for in the tank he is in and he is only
Approx 3 months old.. il see what pics I have if not il put some up later.
Thanks for advice :D, I just going to leave him to settle, just feeding and watering
At the minute as he has been in a breeders tank, pet shop... And now home!
Just taking my time with him, he will come out of his shell sooner or later. He
Sheds well and eats ( when noone is watching) hehe. I photograph what I
Feed him and compare later so I can see what he is eating.
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 am

Image
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 am

By the way that was his first day at home, and he had never had calci
Supplements until now, but slowly little by little I have made it so he
Now has zoo med calcium and vitamins powder, I did really want him to eat when
I got him home and didn't know if he would be put off eating if
From day one I used it. Now he doesn't mind it at all :)
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

You are doing such a good job so far :) only thing, i might cut the food pieces a tad smaller than that, unless its maybe just the angle of the photograph.
The calcium with D3 is a really good thing to have, I have a 3 month old bluey as well and he actually enjoys the supplement lol. And a lot of people use the vitamins as well, i personally dont because i use a really varied diet, but good on you, you are going to be a really good skink owner.
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks a lot :) yea he does have meat aswell as veg, fruit and insects.
It would appear cooked chicken being one of the favourites.. which
I don't at all mind as I know the protein is good in that. Fruit favourite
Is mushed banana and strawberries, I hear raspberries ar a common
Favourite to, so will try that. May keep them for when I start hand feeding only
So he relates those to being held at first.. not so Much he expects them
Everytime he is handled though lol. From your previous message about
Not pulling away, he hisses only when he sees me in his tank
So I'm only putting food and water in when he is hiding. And as for bites
.. I am expecting to get bitten once or twice for sure, but my real agenda
With Randall is for him to be a family pet for when my daughter gets older,
Because they are very intelligent, and the perfect example for teaching her
To respect animals of all sizes, not just dogs and cats. Also as a bonus
I can show my wife that not all reptiles are ( icky ) lol. It's working
A treat as already when I'm at work she is detailing every
Appearance he makes :). Fantastic, and very intelligent animals.
So curious... Equally of me as I am of him. By the way, the care sheet of this
Site is fantastic :). Hoping that with enough knowledge to start
Breeding in UK... As... There are very few breeders equaling very few blue
Tongues.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Susann » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 am

Welcome! Congratulations on getting the best pet in the world!
And thank you on behalf of Randall for reading the caresheet :D
In the FAQ section there is a food chart that is absolutely marvelous and super easy to use. That way you make sure that you are feeding only the BEST foods to keep you skinker happy and healthy :ohyes: You may want to use a food processor to cop up the harder vegetables like carrots into much smaller pieces. I second Rani-May that those pieces look awful big. You could use a grater as well. Personally I just throw everything into the processor, the veggies and the greens.

We hope to see many more pictures of Randall when he is no longer so shy.
Good luck and have fun!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Randall will be a fantastic pet for your daughter, they are the most wonderful pets and very fascinating little things.
And i must agree, the care sheet is great, best ive come across and ive learnt so much from it.
Your wife will definitely come around, it seems these guys are so hard to resist the cuteness of. And just wait until you slowly find out his personality. :)
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby El Lobo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:58 pm

As has been suggested make the food pieces smaller. I prefer to use a grater for vegetables rather than a food processor to have the food more as a solid than a paste. I am only feeding three so it is actually quicker to grate.

While he is still young and small try ensuring the protein portion of each meal is approximately 50-60% as protein is necessary for healthy growth. Although fruit contains a lot of vitamins it also contains a lot of sugars so keeping it at around 10% will give a better balance. Chicken meat usually is well accepted but of the meats it has amongst the worst Ca:P ratio. Using more red meat or canned dog food will help with the Ca:P. Make sure the calcium supplement is phosphorous free and has vitamin D3 added.

BTW, I don't believe getting bitten is a rite of passage. I have had mine for over four years and have picked up a lot of wild ones and have yet to get a bite. Their body language will tell you when a bite is imminent.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Rani-May » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I agree with el lobo, i've had skinks for around 14 years and only been bitten once and that was from an injured and stressed out skink. Like el lobo said, jut read their body language and you should be able to avoid it
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby Spindown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Grats on your first reptile, and WOW that you picked a Bluey for your first! Pretty awesome.
I personally puree all my skink food, as they get all the bits they dont necessarily want to eat seperately that way.

I had an Irian Jaya bluey that was mouthy. She had to bite everything that was new, just to see what it was. She grew out of it (mostly) as she hit her one year mark though.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
kenny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
Country:
Location: england, surrey

Re: my new blue tongue :)

Postby kenny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 am

Hey guys thanks for all the help. He now gets five different veg, one or two
different meats all in one! Puree for the win I think. Iv had him nearly two months
now but he is still so very shy.. I get him out twice a day for about ten mins a time..
But he still is very uncomfortable I think. He burrows all day and when I get
him out he is very cold.. I put him on his rock to bask before I handle him.. He just
doesn't do everything very naturally unfortunately.. When he started burrowing I was very
happy.. Sadly now he doesn't come out. Only to eat. Iv checked his temps over and over
and even got another thermometer just in case it was that. I know I have a long time
to settle him and if he basked I wouldn't worry. Any ideas how I can make him feel more at
home. My family love him very much. My wife sings to him everyday and we always talk
to him. iv tried it all. I don't believe him to be ill nor do I believe he is brumating because if we
are out he is out when we get back but then hides when he sees us. I don't know what to
bdo

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests